Carry laws in Australia???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
We're going to Oz this year and I was wondering what the laws are like for carrying knives over there. It's a family holiday so folding knives in particular rather than fixed blades. length of blade restrictions, locking blades etc.

Can anyone shed any light on this???

Cheers

Mark

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
Hi Mark

Although I cant comment on the specifics, you will find that most of the laws in Oz are very close to what they are over here.

Legitimate reason for having at any time and in any place.

We had not probs when we spent some time over there, and just treated out sharps like we would over here.

You will have more problems if you try and take your bread roll off the plane when you land and dont drop it in the honesty box. :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Yup,
Ditto what Rob says, they are fanatical about food being brought into the country, especially from Britain with its recent history of Foot & Mouth.

Have a brilliant time.

Ogri the trog

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
There is mostly no restriction on blade lengths with anything, you can carry anything, anywhere as long as you've got a legitimate reason for doing so. Locking Folders are legal, switchblades, gravity knives, balisong / butterfly knives are not. In the bush, folders on belts are acceptable both within the law and socially, but fixed blades on your belt will mostly get you branded a ****** and draw attention from the cops especially if you are in country towns or unless you are out in the scrub with dogs, sticking pigs etc..

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Thanks Aussie.
I'll probably take something like a SAK or leatherman. It's a family holiday rather than a bushcraft one - although I hope to spend some time playing, perhaps when we're based in Cains...

Are you based in Oz atm?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE