Caring for a leather hat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I'd be interested to know what you owners of leather hats use to care for them. Oil? Wax? A combination of the two? Or are they best left alone?

Thanks in advance.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Seems logical to treat them the same as you would a pair of leather boots. I have used Grangers G Wax on mine, sparingly.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have not put anything on my Jacaru, since buyimg it in Sydney in 2002, still as good as new too

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Until a few months ago I would have whole heartedly recommended Sno-Seal which I have used on most of my leather items since 2008 & found it great stuff but !!!!.....bought a new tin recently & what a deception !..........completely different formula (colour, texture; smell) & it's more like vasseline than a bee's wax compound . I may just use melted bee's wax from now on or try the Granger's G-wax & hope that hasn't changed.
I would definately go with wax rather than animal fats (neetsfoot, mink-oil etc.) Some of the Aussie leather hat manufacturers make their own leather cream, never used it but I think it's similar to the wax/oil dressing used on oilskin coats.
I don't know what kind of hat you have but not all leather can be made water repellent.

Jun 9, 2012
Wolverhampton
After getting drenched a few times last year and my beautiful hat looking like a mutated sodden yorkshire pudding. I decided to spray mine with a few coates of Scotchgard, giving a few hours between coates. The result was amazing, water just glides off the hat doesn't get wet and there is no difference in appearance. I applied this in September and it still works fine.

hedgedruid

Jun 23, 2011
East Lancashire UK
Sprayed mine with a simple leather protection type spray been fine for a couple of years still shedding water easily . Quick shake when going indoors and most of the water comes off .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE