Cardboard oven

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
It's a good idea, but it's not a new idea - I was using one of those in Australia over 10 years ago.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive seen them too but how will the conservatives take it?

Good ideas are good ideas but some people seem impervious to them.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, yeah - it's mainly for use in climates with reliable sunshine (of which there are many). Not much use in Scotland...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have baked a cake in a cardboard box, lined with tinfoil with 2 rods shoved through it as a shelf for the baking tin to sit on. Bung some hot coals in the box, close it and wait - job done...

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
Is this not the wrong way round ??

"Black paint on the inner box and silver foil on the outer help concentrate the heat "

GS

stijnb

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2008
nederland
From the picture it looks like the foil on the flaps of the box reflect the light into the box where it's converted into heat by the black inside of the box. The heat can't escape becouse of the glass, as light can go through but hot air can't.

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
It's just sick that he won 50,000 pounds for something that made school children has already made and is in many hippy/alt energy/survival books.

Imagine winning 50,000 pounds for reprinting the Bible, original eh?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Your right, its by no means a new idea, nor is it the best solar cooker I have seen.

Its probably the cheapest....

He deserves the money if he can get it accepted by the people who need it.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I would say the prize is for a reproducable idea. The idea is not new but taking a simple idea and turning it into a massed produced solution is the real point.

Take two boxes, bit of foil, paint and some kind of see through lid. done ...............
Not really good enough instuctions to provide cooking facilites for an entire village.

Make enough for a village ( or 100 ) at a price they can afford and we have a winner.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I have baked a cake in a cardboard box, lined with tinfoil with 2 rods shoved through it as a shelf for the baking tin to sit on. Bung some hot coals in the box, close it and wait - job done...

My scouts have made pizza that way too.

The Cardboard oven in question is often called a conservation oven by Scouts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE