carbs?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

thecalbanner

May 24, 2010
hereford
hi guys,
this has been my first year of pushin forward with wild food knowledge but there seems to be a big gap in my artillery when it comes to carbohydrates. i havent yet dug any roots (apart from the old pignut) so maybe thats the answer.
any help would be good.
thanks

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Watch you don't end up using more carbs digging up roots than you get from your efforts. Retain the knowledge of sources of 'wild carbs' but don't rely on them as a fuel source or you could end up hungry.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
What's the name of the huge tuber you can dig up on rocky beaches? Really big and really nutritious.
I seem to remember Ray Mears digging one up on the series he did with the food experty botanist bloke.

Sea-kale. Nice, but it's a protected species.

Jumbalaya

Tenderfoot
In the British Isles there is not real natural equivalent to something like a starchy potato, at least in quantity. As someone posted on the thread, pignut roots can be used but in my experience they are rarely large (they can grow up to 2 inches in diameter, but that's an old plant specimen - they are perennials). Burdock root isn't really a starch provider, though reedmace (Typha) roots will provide you with starch granules, though they are interspersed with lots of fibrous threads running through the rootstock.

Marcus

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE