Carabiners for tarp hanging

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have been using the Alpkit clipits for hanging my tarp and the prussiks to tension it.
Problem is in the strong winds were having they opening out.

Can anyone recommend some smallish crabs but preferably not the steel ones.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have been using the Alpkit clipits for hanging my tarp and the prussiks to tension it.
Problem is in the strong winds were having they opening out.

Can anyone recommend some smallish crabs but preferably not the steel ones.

That's good to know John, I've been using them for a number of years and not had a problem yet. Do you use a full ridge line or tie off from the ends of your tarp?

EDIT:
I'm using Dutch Biners on my hammock setup which would be up to the task, maybe see if Mat can get you some with his next order?

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
That's good to know John, I've been using them for a number of years and not had a problem yet. Do you use a full ridge line or tie off from the ends of your tarp?

EDIT:
I'm using Dutch Biners on my hammock setup which would be up to the task, maybe see if Mat can get you some with his next order?

Tried both full ridge line and tying from either end but once again its a heavy tarp. Its one of the Tatonka 4.25x4.25 so a fair sized thing. I could tie direct to the eyelets but like the crabs for taking the guys and ridge line off.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Tried both full ridge line and tying from either end but once again its a heavy tarp. Its one of the Tatonka 4.25x4.25 so a fair sized thing. I could tie direct to the eyelets but like the crabs for taking the guys and ridge line off.

I've got the exact same tarp and alpkit crabs.

Can't say I've ever had any bend open whilst I've used it but I'll keep an eye on them for sure

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I've got the exact same tarp and alpkit crabs.

Can't say I've ever had any bend open whilst I've used it but I'll keep an eye on them for sure

They have been ok but with the recent strong winds they have started to bend out.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

Ah roger that, I've got the big polycotton Tatonka and just used climbing cord prusiks straight into the loops

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE