Car oil stains

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I need to rid my daughter's path which consists of paving flags and that red tarmac stuff of the oil stains, any ideas welcome. :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
My mates mum used to wash down the yard with cola after we'd been stripping down motorbikes when we were kids.

Might be worth a try :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cover them in cat litter and let it lie until it's absorbed as much as it can. Brush it off and then soak the stains with Cola, then use fairy liquid and a scrubbing brush. Rinse well. The only problem is that you'll end up with really clean spots :rolleyes:

I'm sure I saw proprietory driveway cleaners in a garden centre not so long ago though :dunno:

cheers,
Toddy

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
Hi the very best thing for this is to pour a little parafin (or diesel) on the area (just enough to give a thin layer) and cover with spilldry granules. You can get these from any motor factor for about £20 for 10kg. (or ask for a bit at you local friendly garage). Leave it for a few hours, sweep it up and discard (we use ours a few times before we get rid of it) it doesn't work very well with water though so best done on a dry day.

Regards

Ben

Rob_Beek

Forager
Dec 19, 2009
Crewe
Just put some washing powder down until it rains, give it a scrub with a yard brush. Worked for me.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I appreciate all yer input ;) I used my pressure washer this morning, got rid of everything bar the oil, wouldn't like to try my blowlamp on the tarmac tho.' :eek:

On my day off I'll try some of yer suggestions and a pop into B&Q too, thanks again.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Pour oil over the rest of the path, minus where there are stains already! Then, it'll all look the same! No need to thnk me for the obvious and easy answer, I'm here all week!

:D

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Pour oil over the rest of the path, minus where there are stains already! Then, it'll all look the same! No need to thnk me for the obvious and easy answer, I'm here all week!

:D

Some people are born a genius, lend's fifty quid for the oil. :)

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Amazing to think that something that dissolves engine oil is probably the world's most popular beverage.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
i used to find oil from my bike used to eat away at the tarmac drive, only thing i found to deal with it was to wait til a hot day, dig out the offending and battered tarmac, and patch with that cold lay stuff you can buy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE