Car boot bounty - Files for knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
My wife likes the car boot (I swear she'd leave me for the right bargain). But today I decided I'd tag along and see if I could hunt down one of those elusive creatures of the car boot forest, the bushcraft knife that hides within old files.

She was the one who spotted the files in a toolbox on the stand to my left. I rummaged through the box and could not believe my luck. Files! More than one of them! :eek: Delighted, I consciously focused on calming my racing pulse (we all know calm is needed for a good shot and a clean kill). I donned my most disinterested face :puppy_dog and asked how much the tools in the toolbox were. "20p each" came back the reply. It took all my composure to not bite his arm off at the shoulder. I chose 4 files and a rasp; £1 worth every penny. I decided that there were two I might even use some as an actual rasp and file.

Further down I caught sight of some augers. I had to buy one (how could I not at only 30p!) for which I'll have to make a handle or might see if I can get someone to weld a ring on the back of it so that I can use a stick to hand power the drill.

Would you believe my luck; I then found more files. Yes, MORE! I've looked a few times in the past and found nothing at all. I guess it's true that every day is different in terms of hunting, and this was a good day. The last one, complete with white marble dust, cost a pound as well (as much as the first five together). There was a part of me that thought I ought to leave a few for the next person; not decimate the local population, but I figured these would have a better life in my home and hands than sat rusting idly in a toolbox.

Over the course of the next several years (more likely decades) I'll post about my progress and failings at making a knife or three from these files. I've watched Green Pete do it, and he makes it look easy. As soon as the Chimenia comes out in spring I'll be cooking the few files, the lucky few that are selected to become my faithful companions in the woods. In the mean time I'll watch Green Pete make his knife until I think I have the whole process engraved in my mind.

Images here: http://cid-0543a98e13160818.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Bushcraft/2010-01-24%20Car%20boot%20bounty/P1240001.JPG

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
SO your the one who gets all the carboot luck? I have braved the early moring car boot in search of tools and interesting bits. Nawt but 10 year old games consoles, 3 bar heaters and kitchen sinks with holes in them. :(

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE