Capercaillie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
We have a light covering of snow here at the moment. So I took the dogs for a walk into the woods about a mile from my house. I took the opportunity to go out and try my Christmas present of the new Tracks & Signs book. First set of prints was a fox but the second surprised me. A set of capercaillie prints, as clear as day. I've lived here 6 years and didn't know they were here, and so rare too! Could get heavily into this tracking. :lmao:

Jan 22, 2006
uk
i'd love to see some photos of the capercallie tracks?
to me, tracking is absolutely the greatest part of the whole bushcraft subject, its completely addictive.
try the book by bob carss, its the best i've read - you can pick it up for next to nothing.
good luck!

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
fred gordon said:
We have a light covering of snow here at the moment. So I took the dogs for a walk into the woods about a mile from my house. I took the opportunity to go out and try my Christmas present of the new Tracks & Signs book. First set of prints was a fox but the second surprised me. A set of capercaillie prints, as clear as day. I've lived here 6 years and didn't know they were here, and so rare too! Could get heavily into this tracking. :lmao:

isn’t it exiting when something like that happens?
Chris

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I was out looking for Capercaillie yesterday on the flanks of Bennachie above the Don. There was a male there a few years ago, but I dont think there were any sightings last year. I didn't see or hear any. Good to know there are still some upriver !

Regards,
Doug.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Osprey said:
I was out looking for Capercaillie yesterday on the flanks of Bennachie above the Don. There was a male there a few years ago, but I dont think there were any sightings last year. I didn't see or hear any. Good to know there are still some upriver !

Regards,
Doug.
When I was based on Bennachie I used to see him quite a lot. I've spoken to the foresters and they haven't seen him for a while either. Probably lovesick and go somewhere else. :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE