Cap Comforters!!!!

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi all,i was wondering if anyone knows of a place that sells cap comforters or if they still make them anymore,i've looked on a few surplus sites but to no avail.

We were issued with these when i was in the cadets more than 27 year ago and were really good,i'm not even sure if that was there real name for it,so a brief description of them might help,a cap comforter was 2 pieces of rectangular material sewn together around the
edges,it could be worn as a scarf or with a bit of folding it could be turn into a hat,i think the Marines used to wear them.
Anyway if someone can shed some light on this i would be grateful,many thanks Stu

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I think you want the old issue headover. The new one has a kink in it and is the itchiest wool/polyester mix in the world. It could be used for the same thing, but I'd try and get the old one if possible.

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
This was the bit of kit that the headover replaced. My memory of them was that they were always a bit too small, or maybe they just produced a cadet sized version, I dunno. Must admit that I've not seen one for a good while either.

Well there is one here on ebay

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Andy,thanks for the link,but thats not quite it,with the cap comforter you could'nt put you head through it, like in the link, as it was sewn around all the outer edges,it was,nt a tube like the buff. thanks anyway.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
This was the bit of kit that the headover replaced. My memory of them was that they were always a bit too small, or maybe they just produced a cadet sized version, I dunno. Must admit that I've not seen one for a good while either.

Well there is one here on ebay

Hi Mirius,that sounds right as i remember they barely made it around your neck as a scarf but they were good and warm as a hat,oh i think i,m showing my age when i,m looking for a bit of kit that i had over 27year ago,well heres hoping i get lucky and someone knows of a link :) .

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
years ago i bought a couple of head-overs at silvermans,they were O.D. wool and could be rolled into a capcomforter and it was told to me from the clerk that sold them , you could sew the tube shut to make a capcomforter...also you could try to find a dutch capcomforter/scarf at a local surplus shop they look just about the same as the ww2 british item...another thing you could do is google British ww2 reenactment uniforms and equipment..there is a big store in the U.K. that deals in British ww2 equipment...i'll try to get you a name....vince g. 11b inf.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Here you are, packs of 10 for £10.

Maybe a possible group buy ? I know I'd have one for a quid plus P&P.

Eric

Oops, just noticed they are trade only!

Just been browsing the site, 5 crusader? mugs for £10???!!!http://www.fieldtextiles.co.uk/ishop/866/shopscr33.html

And are these of any interest to Wayland? http://www.fieldtextiles.co.uk/ishop/866/shopscr158.html

Eric weren't you after one of these? http://www.fieldtextiles.co.uk/ishop/866/shopscr136.html

Its an excellent site, just needs someone to buy £250 quids worth of stuff!

Shepard

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2006
Norway
Our issued Norwegian Army Wool Head Overs are very good, and can be found extremely cheap.(group buy?)
Never leaves home without it!

JDWilts

Aug 6, 2004
South West
I remember cap comforters! Official Airfix 1/32nd commando issue.

They were meant to be one size fits all but that I can tell you is a blatant lie. They stopped issuing them once colour film for Pathe News reel arrived and everybody lost the BBC English Accents. IE: "Golly gosh RSM, we're on the wrong beach!".

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE