Canvas water bag

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I have just been to Exeter with work, and had to pop into the mighty Endicott's!

Anyway.

Got myself a canvas water bag (The type that remains damp and cools the contents via evaporation), which seems to be an unissued military item. I have not filled it yet and before I do wondered if anyone on here has used them and if there is any tips or tricks

Cheers

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I have a linen bucket, also surplus. It leaks first, but after a while when the fibers have swollen, it's quite waterproof. Don't know about cooling though.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have made a canvas bucket out of old canvas tentage - works a treat!
No tip or tricks except you need to soak the fibres until they swell for max water retention...and it always stays wet for a long time after use!

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I used the military issue ones in Canada in the early eighties and soak them for at least 24 hours, the really do work in keeping the water cool. One draw back we had though was the dust being wet it formed a thick crust on the outside apart from that, nice find!!!!!!!

Dec 16, 2007
I found an army disposals shop in Rockhampton QLD that sells the ones Ray used in his walkabout show. Only $40 and brand new. Get to stick it on the roof of my jeep and that will keep the water cool.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Thought you would like to see some pics

8d6f3711.jpg

84484ec9.jpg

92c223a5.jpg

6b939913.jpg

Seems pretty good so far!

Still waiting for it to wet out, holds about 10 lt

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Blooming great these are. I had one for 15 yrs and it always performed well in my LR/CP. Once I 'retired' I left it behind for my successor, regretted it so much I now have another! Using in the summer it keeps water drinkably cool even on the hottest day (evaps from the surface!) Good find!

allamersvr

Apr 3, 2011
Midland, Texas
My name is Kyle James. I live in Midland, Texas and work in Seminole, Texas for HESS Corp. I am looking for the canvas bag that are being discussed in this thread. I have found some out of California, but you have to order two and pay shipping which ends up being $105.85 USD. They don't look like the heavy bags that we used on the farm. Of course this may be my memory tricking me! Please let me know of any sources or thoughts on this. THANKS!

S

subaruman

Responding to Kyle James, I recently visited the small city of Bakersfield in California. Not having any idea at the time what a chagul was I bought one for under $7.00 I believe mine holds close to a gallon, it's kinda pear shaped. If memory serves me right the store is called The Supply Sergeant 3530 Chester Ave Bakersfield, CA 93301 Phone (661) 336-0658. Doesn't look like they have a website. Try calling and see if they ship a couple to ya. Good luck.

dixienormns

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2011
meadowview Va. usa
mill bank bag is a filter of debre out of water this bags i dont know if u carry drinking water or what mine just says soak 24hrs before use tried it might have been doing it wrong dont know can not find any thing on these bags

Dec 16, 2007
They are a thing that is still used here in Oz. I have one that holds 10ltr and you strap it to your bull bar and as the wind goes past it cools the water. The only problem is that as it evaporates you lose water so you need to top it up every stop. Once I get to my camp I hang it from a tree and you have a cool water. You see RM use one in his walkabout series fills it from a water hole using his crusader mug. Good enough for him good enough for me. http://www.wellingtonsurplus.com.au...ZER+WATER+BAG+-+40cm+-+7+litre++-+MODEL+1WB40 this is the one I have.

dixienormns

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2011
meadowview Va. usa
i have one like pignut has and have found a trick to getting it to stop leaking soak it for 24-48 hours let it air dry get some pariffin wax and bees wax you will need 250 grams of parriffin wax and 25 grams of bees wax melt on stove or what ever pour into disposable plastic contianer if u can get one that is small rectangle is best i used sour cream bowl size let set till hard and cool remove from bowl and rub like crazy not to hard a little does alot melt it in with a hair dryer repeat if needed i did it on mine once and stopped 99.6% of my leaks i only had 4 drips starting with 2gal of water when before it would fill a half a gallon in 2hrs it will work on army pup tents too thanks to all for helping on my problem

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
i have one like pignut has and have found a trick to getting it to stop leaking soak it for 24-48 hours let it air dry get some pariffin wax and bees wax you will need 250 grams of parriffin wax and 25 grams of bees wax melt on stove or what ever pour into disposable plastic contianer if u can get one that is small rectangle is best i used sour cream bowl size let set till hard and cool remove from bowl and rub like crazy not to hard a little does alot melt it in with a hair dryer repeat if needed i did it on mine once and stopped 99.6% of my leaks i only had 4 drips starting with 2gal of water when before it would fill a half a gallon in 2hrs it will work on army pup tents too thanks to all for helping on my problem

Doesnt that defeat the object? the idea being that the slight porosity allows evaporation which cools the remaining water?

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
All,

These bags are water containers, not filters like the millbank.

New they let water through lik a watering can. However with use the weave seems to tighten up and they become almost water tight. The idea is for the outside of these bags to remain wet and the action of water evaporating from the surface keeps the contents cool (this does work) after a dozen or so uses mine wets out, then drips very occasionally

Hope this helps

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE