Canvas Tarps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Dixon

Forager
May 2, 2006
Cheshire
im looking for a new (ish) cnavas tarp, does anyone know any supliers that dont want my kidneys as well as a pound of flesh?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
that canvas tarp from chopper looks lovely - I remember thinking at the time that I want one. I should have followed up on that one really!

I did make one myself a while back... it was about 3m x 3m and cost including having the sewnig done... about £35 I guess. I just spent the last 15 minutes looking for the place I got the fabric from as it was only about £6 per metre of the 3m wide fabric.

It was ok I guess... Bambodoggy has it now.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Well, if you do decide to donate a kidney, you might consider having one made of ventile. Much lighter than most canvas tarps. Also great for using with a toboggan in the winter to cover your gear.

leanto1.jpg

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
John Dixon said:
hodoo that is so sweet, how much does that set you back???? how fire resilient is it??

I don't recall how much I paid for the ventile. I bought it from a friend who had some extra. My friend's wife also made the tarp and wouldn't take any money to do it. Since that time, I've bought more ventile and she is making a parka for me but I will have to insist on paying her. :)

I'm sure it's not as fire resistant as chemically treated canvas but much more resistant than nylon. Still, it's a pricey bit of kit so it would pay to be careful. I generally prefer cheapo plastic tarps for sleeping close to a fire.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
dommyracer said:
Hoodoo, I love the bed you've got there.
I assume you take the bed part out with you, how is that fashioned?

That was made from a canvas cot matress cover. I just opened the other end and sewed along each side to make pockets for the poles. Makes a great ground cloth too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE