Canvas Question

Ok this may sound odd :eek:

I was working with the canvas I got on my recent course and using it to make outter mittens. It is fairly thick stuff, but after putting it down and popping for lunch and have a sausage on a roll, I got this weird taste in mouth and it seemed to linger, like a sharp horrible taste. Not it wasn't the food or anything, when I licked my finger (as you do :lmao: ) the taste was on there as well. Washed my hands throughly after eating to see if that would work and it just manages to get rid of it. Its the same taste I had when I was cutting the outer mittens out of a large canvas sheet on the course and it put me off my lunch then.

I am just wondering if the canvas may have been treated with something, if so whats the best way to get rid of it as I don't fancy having this taste each time I wear the mittens.

Failing that if there is no way to get rid of the taste I do have a swedish smock here that I can cut up.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Logicly washing should help but...would the finished product really be as useful if you remove the treatment? I don't know about the effect on the stitching though.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
There'll be all sorts of chemicals on the fabric from manufacture, stuff to hold the colour etc

A lot of new clothes now state you should wash the before wearing, it's just to cover their back in case somebody has a bad reaction to the chemicals used.

I'd wash it, not sure how the artificial sinew would take it though, does artificial mean plastic?

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Some types of canvas are impregnated with oils for waterproofing..........soaking in warm water with washing up liquid will remove some of this......washing will also help get rid of the volatile dust & fibres that come off the fabric, entering your nose & mouth.
You can waterproof it later with something like Barbours thornproof dressing.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Detergent maybe, but not ordinary washing powder or liquid. .....I suggested washing up liquid as it's much more efficient at removing oils....I think soaking & rincing by hand would be better than passing it through a machine.
The canvas may shrink a little by the way.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think it depends on what the canvas was originally intended for.
Cotton (canvas is usually cotton nowadays) needs lubrication both for spinning and weaving. If this dressing isn't removed before sale it's called Loom State......generally it's pretty grubby, so it's kind of obvious, has a rather oily/ silicony smell to it.
It's intended to just wash out in hot water and detergent.
If it were alum or borax, used as fireproofing agents, then I suspect that as a Geologist, you might recognise them; so I don't think it's likely to be that.
The other treatments then are dye .........and that can taste really, really vile if it's the chemical ones.....or a pre-dye mordanting/tannin (cotton's not straightforward as wool) waterproofing, scotchguarding, sized for painting, or an anti shrink treatment.

Ideally the fabric labels would have been on the bolt of cloth, but few folks look and fewer shops keep the actual fabric quality/ care labels attached.

If you have scraps you could trial wash them for size ? see if and or how much the fabric will shrink.

Both Eric Methven and John Fenna have a wide experience of using assorted canvas....might be worth pm-ing them if they don't see this thread :)

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE