Canvas pullover/ hunting frock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Navek

Forager
May 25, 2015
South
not Been on for a while due to family difficulties and not made anything for a while but now I have the feeling of making something to take my mind off things .. I’m look at making a canvas pull over hunting frock type from the 1800.im not sure on if I’m going go for pull over it open front but was wondering what weight canvas would be best to use I’m not after anything to light but nothin to heavy ...I’ll put up couple pictures of what I’m after see if it helps ... Cheers ..

https://postimg.cc/gallery/14cj2qm8s/

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
To be fair you did post fairly late on, folk may have been outdoors all weekend and missed your post.

Your picture shows you have a good idea what you are looking for. Is there a lot of weight difference between material?

Navek

Forager
May 25, 2015
South
To be fair you did post fairly late on, folk may have been outdoors all weekend and missed your post.

Your picture shows you have a good idea what you are looking for. Is there a lot of weight difference between material?
I’m not sure on weight as haven’t worked with canvas so I didn’t want order it and it not be heavy enough or it be to heavy ..ive had a bit of a search around and most anoraks I’ve seemed to find are 10 to 12 oz so think going go with one them

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'm searching for a "shell" outer layer that I will most likely buy.
I know what I want for the front zipper, the small pockets, the map pockets, the drawstrings.
Above all, it has to be wind-proof. I can layer my clothing under the shell.
Carhartt make a lot of their clothing with 12oz canvas and that particular fabric is stiff and heavy and beautifully wind proof.

Google Carhartt and look for the "Canyon coat # 101683" to get an idea of what I want (hood is extra)

Reactions: Billy-o

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I can't buy it! Carhartt won't export that coat to Canada.
So I'll buy it on line and have it sent to my kid who researches at Stanford in Emergency Medicine.
She can mail it up to me. Happy Birthday, Dad.

I wonder why so few of the Carhartt designs come in green. Meant for work-wear?

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Thing is you see great Carhartt jackets in green online, but almost invariably discontinued

Is there a Marks Work Wearhouse in mailing distance? Some of the branches can be pretty good for their stuff.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I have no idea but would prefer a heavier weight personally.

Also - FYI generally bed time for this forum is about 10pm. ;)

Andy

Reactions: Nice65

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Look in the curtains section of charity shops, I've had several pairs of pure natural flax linen curtains to cut up for a pittance.

Saying that i did buy new heavy linen when i made my hunting/carters frock. 'Cost rather a lot at the time and I think i'd use it more if it had been lighter stuff I could wear like a thick shirt on its own rather than as a top layer.

ATB

Tom

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I think the 12 oz canvas is plenty heavy for a smock.
As I said, I want wind-proof. Always blows like Hello in the side valleys at home.
I don't care about the snow or rain or blizzards of sand & rock dust.

The bigger issue might be a sewing machine to cope with doubled seams, etc.
I went to a guy who restores antique furniture. His machine could sew work boots.

All kinds of Carhartt clothing is imported into Canada, except that "Canyon" model coat.
Don't ask me why or why not.

MWW might have a house-brand Dakota jacket that's similar but I'd rather get the Carhartt with the usual predictable quality.
You buy it once and wear it every winter day for 20+ years.

The other really odd-ball place to look on line is "Sierra Trading". It's a warehouse in Wyoming.
They buy up lot-ends of clothing production runs. Fabulous brands for 25% or less.

Navek

Forager
May 25, 2015
South
Look in the curtains section of charity shops, I've had several pairs of pure natural flax linen curtains to cut up for a pittance.

Saying that i did buy new heavy linen when i made my hunting/carters frock. 'Cost rather a lot at the time and I think i'd use it more if it had been lighter stuff I could wear like a thick shirt on its own rather than as a top layer.

ATB

Tom
Do you have any pictures of hunting frock

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thats the puppy, thanks Zingmo!

I should still have the pattern somewhere. i did have one for a capote as well but I loaned it to someone and never got it back. Unfortunately i didnt keep a note of who it was so i cant even chase them up!

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE