Canvas for kelly kettle / billy can carry ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
Hello,

I'm going to knock up a couple of bags to house my kelly kettle, and seperately my little billy can - really just to protect the kettle a bit, when it's in the the back of the car, and then to protect my bag, after the billy has been in use when I'm out and about.

I've found plenty of canvas online, but at 15oz, or 400gsm, I think that sounds maybe that bit too heavy for what I need - so I'm wondering - does canvas actually come in anything lighter weight - I don't want anything proofed, straight forward cotton duck is ideal.

Thanks ...

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
MP how about some sailcloth instead? I've got loads of old sails in varying weights. Instead of throwing them out I may cut them up and offer them here and elswhere. interested? postage only or swapsies

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
just take your old jeans legs sew one end or just tie both with string them legs are made for walking [oops pots pans] :lmao: :lmao:

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
Don Redondo,
I'd be interested in some sail cloth if/when you decide to offload it

Only after a couple of yards (am I still allowed to say that?) to play with

If you could keep me in mind ......

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
15 oz is a very good weight for packs - and usually rather hard to find (at least in the US). Most canvas I'm able to get hold of is tent weight 10 oz, though 8 oz and six oz is sometimes available.

For what you're talking about - I'd go with the lighter weights. When I've made similar sacks, I've just used cotton cloth - rather than canvas. The reason I use these sacks is to store my kettles after use - and keep the rest of the items in my pack - as well as the inside of the pack - clean.

PG
(on the road)

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
Ah, thanks - there's some good links there ...

Don Redondo - that's a great offer mate, I'll be in touch about this over the weekend.

Cheers,

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
Don Redondo said:
MP how about some sailcloth instead? I've got loads of old sails in varying weights. Instead of throwing them out I may cut them up and offer them here and elswhere. interested? postage only or swapsies

I'd be very interested in this too! good recycling and I have half a dozen stow bags I need to make for pans, bushlite, etc..etc.. :D

Wettstuff

Tenderfoot
Oct 14, 2005
Ascot
Monkey Pork

Did your kettle not come with a cotton bag? When i got mine in the group buy it came packed in a neat black cotton stuff sack type thing. Like you get for shoes. Is this not good enough for your needs.

If it is you can have my bag as my kettle lives in a box in the back of my truck, along with everything else.

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE