Canvas bushcraft jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
Just wondering what type of canvas jacket you guys use for your winter camp etc , at the moment am using the Dutch army of combat jacket , good pockets tightly woven canvas with multiple layers sewn together keeping the weather out. Did wax it years ago which has all worn away but still keeps the weather out and stays comfortable also great around the open firef51bb8a9be7b166574adaa22004f455e--combat-jacket-cotton-fields.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Carhartt "Chore Coat". Sure it gets plenty cold here with snow like sugar, just brush it off, it won't be melting anytime soon. Layers. Flannel & wool clothing underneath.
The big thing here is the wind. Somehow you need to get out of the wind. Carhartt canvas is pretty good for that. Cinch up the waist-cord a little to stop the bellows effect with movement.

I wear it hunting. In 25 years, I have not got a speck of blood on it. I've had leather cuff edges and elbow patches to cover the worn places. Now there's a few 2cm holes in the front that I have to deal with.

I have a new (?) 5 yr old Carhartt with better insulation and no flaps on the pockets to fight with wearing mittens or lined gloves.

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
Hilltrek single layer ventile smock for me.
Keeps out all but the heaviest of rain, easy to layer up underneath.

It's my one for all outdoor occasions

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Not canvas but I use a Belgian army M88 field jacket with a French army fleece jacket underneath. Good to around 0°C with wind. I've also got a tatty Carhartt chore coat, the one with the blanket lining (acrylic fleece really). No good in wind though as it has a wide spaced buttoned front & is rather short.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I had a wool jacket like that with widely spaced buttons down the front. Loved the jacket. So one day, I clipped off the buttons and sewed a strip of Velcro down the front for a closure. Sure fixed the draft issue in a hurry.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Depends what you mean by 'Winter Camp' to be honest. If you mean woodland base/fixed camp I tend to use more hunting, beating, countrywear type jackets - if you mean journeying/back backing camping, that's a totally different kettle of fish.

Have a look here - they have waxed jackets from £34 to hundreds; I particularly like the price/performance point of some of the Percussion stuff.

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
Polycotton I'm afraid, but I'm still using an M65. Have had one (not the same one unfortunately) for nigh in 40 years. Also have a couple of pairs of the trousers and their respective liners.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Like a lot of us here, I have several to pick from, various smocks and combats, but the old Norrona Arktis cotton jacket is a favourite.

I have an eye out for an Austrian army jacket - the one with the daisychain on the front. But I really like that Dutch jacket of yours, Walker. There's a couple of good Canadian Navy jackets that I'd like but they are rare enough in any size, and I have never seen one in mine. The Fjallraven Greenland/Raven ones are still good. I also like the look of the one that Varusteleka did - their Outdoors jacket. That one has been in and out of my shopping cart on more than one occasion. :lol:

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE