Canvas Berghaus Crusader

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
I've pitched my own ruck out of a helicopter, a time or two, but I tried to avoid the mudpuddles. :lmao: :p :lmao: The real test, though, was the abuse the rucks took strapped to the outside of an armored personnel carrier. ;)

Military rucks have to be able to haul the load and take the abuse. Remember, a soldier can tear up a steel ball bearing.

Gordy

No the real test for a bergan has to be the baggage handlers at Glasgow airport !!

Everytime we go to canada something either gets broken or ripped .

Craig.............

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
No the real test for a bergan has to be the baggage handlers at Glasgow airport !!

Craig.............

Never been through the Glasgow airport, but I agree 100% with airline baggage handlers. They probably got their start in the military slinging rucks from trucks and used that as experience on their resumes!
:You_Rock_

Gordy

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I'm not excusing baggage handlers, but if I earned my keep slinging heavy luggage around 8 hours a day, I don't think I would be too concerned about delicately placing the stuff, & it's more the "sharp cornered metal devices the bags have to pass through that do the damage, is'nt ?......I'm sure a bergen could survive the mishandling of a begruntled baggage handler..............

Last edited:

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
True enough i wouldn't fancy chucking bags around all day ,
it's bad enough bags for the four of us and we allways seem to come home with two extra bag full of stuff we have bought .

Craig.................

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I've pitched my own ruck out of a helicopter, a time or two, but I tried to avoid the mudpuddles. :lmao: :p :lmao: The real test, though, was the abuse the rucks took strapped to the outside of an armored personnel carrier. ;)

Military rucks have to be able to haul the load and take the abuse. Remember, a soldier can tear up a steel ball bearing.

Gordy

Craig.............

Never been through the Glasgow airport, but I agree 100% with airline baggage handlers. They probably got their start in the military slinging rucks from trucks and used that as experience on their resumes!
:You_Rock_

Gordy

What Knackers Bergens of any shape or Size in very short order is sack hauling up granite slabs.

Places like Commando Ridge down at Bosigran, The Devils slide over on lundy or 'fun and games' at Foggintor Quarry near prince town... That sort of stuff eats bergens PLCE or not....

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
What Knackers Bergens of any shape or Size in very short order is sack hauling up granite slabs.

I am sure it does! John, would love to see some of your climbing pictures, even if just in a PM to me. :cool:

I've only done military climbing on sandstone cliffs and we had to do the climbs in our battle gear w/rucks (top roped due to training regs). Certainly not climbing as you know it.

Cheers,

Gordy

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I've only done military climbing on sandstone cliffs and we had to do the climbs in our battle gear w/rucks (top roped due to training regs). Certainly not climbing as you know it.

Cheers,

Gordy

Oh I've done quite a bit of that as well... a good few years ago now though....

Here are few reasonably recent Climbing photos I have in photobucket...

roryonthewayup.jpg

leading.jpg

taranakiexposure.jpg

Hope that's what you were after...

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
Looks like Arktis Are flogging a bit of gear off ,
Side pouchs in CE?? or BLACK
maybe of use to someone?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Arktis-Side-P...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item2561c5cd2a
ruddy hell! is arktis going out of business or sommat?
assuming the listing wording is correct i've just brought 2 dpm hydration packs off them for 11 quid posted!!! i'm definitely buying another two for my boys at the end of the month lol

and johnboy after those pics i am eternally jealous lol

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere

Places like Commando Ridge down at Bosigran, The Devils slide over on lundy or 'fun and games' at Foggintor Quarry near prince town... That sort of stuff eats bergens PLCE or not....

They're not very good at fire fighting either & they make really lousy parachute sacks, not too sure about deep sea diving holdalls though....................................................horses for courses.

Last edited:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I had a bit of a tutu through some old photos and found a couple with my old Roc in...

sickandtired.jpg

Tired and with a bit of a dehydration headache somewhere in the French Alps IIRC

Topbmp.jpg

On the South West Coast Path somewhere south of Bude IIRC...

Ah nostagia.. It's not what it used to be...

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Bit more ye olde camping for ya from the late 80s :yikes:

Picture001-1.jpg

Bit of hill walking with my ever so trendy survival aids ventile jacket and I have no idea what the pack is? plus I have hair :lmao: ( sorry about the bad pic )

Picture003.jpg

Seting up the pheoenix phreaks a classic tent and I wish that I still had one :( on the pennine way..

Loving this thread bringing back loads of happy exped memories :cool:
thank you all for posting
Twodogs

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
In another parody - "We were backpackers once...and young"! You could substitute your own outdoorsy word for backpackers. :D I like the scenery in the first picture and definitely the tents in the second. Thanks for sharing Cliff!

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Picture003.jpg

Seting up the pheoenix phreaks a classic tent and I wish that I still had one :( on the pennine way..

Phreaks are good tents good sized porch for cooking an kit storage Mine is still going strong...

P1010005-2.jpg

I keep an eye out for a Phortress from time to time... One will turn up...

Happy days

Cheers

John

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
This is not the right thread I know but as we're talking about 'senior' tents, I thought i'd put a word in for my 31 year old Bukta orienteer, had a few repairs of course but can still stand up to a gale or snowstorm, pretty heavy compared to today's modern tents ( 3 Kg all in)but they look & feel pretty frail in comparison ( just my point of view not a technological test)..................Judging by it's condition & performance, it will probably last me out.............................

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE