Canon EOS users....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Well, I bit the bullet and picked up a 500D on Friday with the kit lens (18-55) and a few bits and bobs....
I have to say from a very basic/new to photography level, I'm already falling in love with it :)

Next on the list is the Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 1.8 II for the HD video, but more-so for macro, or just learning about prime lenses.
I don't pretend to know anything; but am really looking forward to the learning curve!

Taken yesterday, my daughter and perfect model. I like it anyway :)

'Apple of my Eye'
15xk020.jpg

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
the 50 1.8 is a bargain lens which gives incredible images for the money especially indoors in low light but it isn't macro. I had one for a while and loved it till it fell apart (they do quite easily being cheapie plastic and the auto-focus sounds like a pound shop wind up toy) The sigma 50 macro gives good macro results for a reasonable price. My current fave lens is the canon 85mm 1.8 it is a real gem.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Guess I'm going to have to start saving the pennies... The 50 1.8 seems to be renowned for feeling 'cheap' but the reviews seem really good for the price picture quality wise.
Was planning on using it with the macro-lens/screw on set (should have said) for some cheap experimenting. I know its basic, but it should give me an idea.

As said, I'm a total noob to these things, but a fairly quick learner!

7D... Maybe one-day. I'll try to get my head around the 500 first :)

Last edited:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I think this was taken with the lens you're on about.

IMG_3142.jpg

I love messing about with depth of field & focal length to try give suggestions of things, even if I'm not a great photographer! :D

mikeybear

Forager
Feb 15, 2010
UK
I will be interested to hear how you get on with video, I bought a 600D prior to going out to Tanzania earlier in the year as I had already got a long zoom lens from film days. I didn't buy it with video in mind but found the auto focusing apalling and slow with video.Very good as a stills camera though.

Cheers

MikeyBear

mikeybear

Forager
Feb 15, 2010
UK
I think you can do alot with the 18-55 lens in the "macro dept" I've cropped this picture but the crab was about 15-20mm across

Sorry I tell a lie this was actually the 100-300EF lens

crab1.jpg

Cheers

MikeyBear

Last edited:

khimbar

Nomad
Jan 5, 2005
birmingham uk
The nifty fifty punches well above its price, Another little cracker is the 55-250...not sure how much they are now though but used to be available for about £120?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Hang on! That's just reminded me that I've got an EOS 650(I think) film camera and a load of lenses and other macro stuff kicking about in the workshop. I could put these up for swapsies if anyone's interested or if any of it is compatible with the digital ones.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Hang on! That's just reminded me that I've got an EOS 650(I think) film camera and a load of lenses and other macro stuff kicking about in the workshop. I could put these up for swapsies if anyone's interested or if any of it is compatible with the digital ones.

Lenses are a good idea! Got any wide angle ones?

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk

Good quality canon autofocus lenses are compatible with digital and in good demand. What have you got?

mikeybear

Forager
Feb 15, 2010
UK
Lenses are a good idea! Got any wide angle ones?

Surely the problem with wide angle EF lenses is tha they become almost standard lenses once you've taken the 1.6x into account.

In the same way that My 100-300EF effectively becomes a 160-480
the 28mm becomes the equivalent of 45mm .

Cheers

MikeyBear

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
just bought one today i know al has one and chris one of the guys at the dartmoor meet had one and my compact is broken so got one of those dslrs to give me a bit more scope regards dave:lmao:

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Surely the problem with wide angle EF lenses is tha they become almost standard lenses once you've taken the 1.6x into account.

In the same way that My 100-300EF effectively becomes a 160-480
the 28mm becomes the equivalent of 45mm .

Cheers

MikeyBear

Yep! Not a lot I can do about that though and a wide angle lenses is still wider than a non-wide one. :D

I got a EOS 400D a few years ago and its still going well and only bought one lens for it. Got the 18-55mm kit lens which is good enough for me and the 55-250mm IS which is a decent zoom lens and was cheap around the £120-50 mark.
I still play with the mannual setting now and again but mostly keep it in P mode when I want a quick shot.

Ok so it doesn't have video modes, which would be handy but I bought it because it was a camera not a camcorder. :)
I recently got a Lumix TZ10 for sticking in the pocket when I can't be bothered hauling around the DSLR.

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
I have the 500D too, great camera, kit lens gets most use but have the nifty fifty, and a 55-250 also. Below taken with the kit lens.

MegandBlue.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE