canoeing???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
W

wiggles

hello people

i was unsure what section i should put this question in so i am sorry if its the wrong one :eek:

my girlfriends dad has a large canoe/kayak thing,im so sorry i know pish all about watercraft.it looks like http://asuaf.org/~tkurk/images/canoe/aaaa109_0998.jpg ,or it did,i was drunk and it was at night.hope that helps

i live in somerset and the girlfriend and i would like to go off down the river and camp by the side for a night or two.

there are rivers near me but none of them would be great for camping.

where can you recomend,not too far away from somerset,or even better,in somerset

thanks in advance for any replies

wiggles:)

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Can't help you with any specific details about Somerset but can say that you cannot just paddle in any river in England. Only about 2% of the inland water in England has rights for canoe use. The BCU will have an access officer for your area that will be able to give you more details or if you post the question on Song of the Paddle's forum (link in my signature) you will probably get a more detailed response from a local member.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Hi Wiggles, I can't help with the "where to go" query I'm afraid, but if the canoe is like the one in the picture it's a Canadian canoe (and you are very lucky to be able to use it in my reckoning!) For more info on canoeing than you can shake a paddle at try going to "Song of the Paddle" from the link on the Transport section on this forum. The guys there live for their canoeing like we live for the woods......

Edit ; Yes ok... MagicKelly can type faster than me.... :rolleyes:

W

wiggles

thanks for the reply,i had a feeling it might not be as easy as i hoped

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No reason for the post other than your Avatar really made me smile - many decades have passed since I enjoyed that particular book

Thank you:)

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Looks like a great canoe. Get the tent out, pack the stove and the food and enjoy the journey, you'll love it.

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Not really much in the way of decent rivers in Somerset

It would be worth the effort taking it to the Wye over the bridge.

Not sure what part of Somerset you are from. The Congresbury Yeo, Congresbury has access so you won’t get any hassle paddling but it's not very long and you would not get away camping.

I’m sure the river Brue has some access and I know there is a campsite along its banks near Highbridge, which has no problem with you having a fire as long as you leave no trace.

I would not attempt the Huntspill as you are likely to get in trouble.

The Bridgwater and Taunton canal would be a good paddle for a beginner and has camping, if booked in advance.

I have always fancied paddling the River Tone, which comes out of Taunton. Quite fast flowing compared to the other rivers in the area. I’m not sure on what the access is but I always see people paddling it so don’t think you would get any trouble.

The Avon over my way again would be a nice place for beginners but not to sure on camping. Some of the many pubs along it route might let you camp if you give them bell

Seriously though mate I would make the effort pay the fiver on the bridge and go to the Wye you won’t regret it. I know quite a few canoeists from Somerset and none of them paddle in Somerset.

Hope you find this helpful

Den

AlexRowan

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005
Somerset
I to am from Somerset and have just found out that I have access to a canadian canoe.

I've been thinking the very same thing as you and I have concluded that the Wye would be very suitable. I've paddled a kayak there as a kid and it is a lovely place.

My dad has done a fair amount of canoeing and I've been meaning to ask him where he thinks would be a suitable river/area.

Once I've got some info, I'll pass it on. If you fancy going somewhere together (I'm trying to convince my girlfriend that she wont' drown!) then that could be a good way for us to cut our teeth! Of course if there's any other, more experienced paddlers in the area, they might be the best to learn from??

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
First a warning - river trips are highly addictive!

My ex got me into canoeing and its the best thing he ever did for me :)

We'd do an overnighter from Ross on Wye to Symonds yat (think thats how you spell it) and pull up over night and camp on a beach/bend in the river. Never had any probs with the farmer (although as my father used to chase tresspassers off our farm with a gun please don't sue me if it all goes wrong :eek: )

There is also fab little campsite upriver from S.Yat. Bear in mind that S.Yat is a little whitewater spot (only small tho!) I just googled to try and find you the address and thought this looked quite interesting http://www.mountainandwater.co.uk/wyeroute.htm

If you haven't done any paddling before I wouldn't plan a very long trip as if neither of you have any paddling experience you may find the elusive straight line a challenge (or is that only me??) and I would hate for either of you to be put off!

One essential piece of kit to take with you is a black bin bag as you will become appalled at any litter floating by you and quite possibly come to detest the entire human race for being so thoughtless (Just me again huh?!?)

Hope this helps, and enjoy!

j

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Don't forget that you can paddle almost anywhere in Scotland, under our access legislation - I know you said 'near Somerset' - it is about 8 hours drive to the Trossachs/Highland Perthshire both of which are full of lochs and rivers- quite feasible for a week's trip anyway.

As it happens, I am doing the reverse trip to holiday in Somerset/Devon. I decided not to take the canoe as the opportunities for using it seemed a bit limited. Some of the rivers (like the Barle) can only be paddled in winter.

This is from the recent meet at Loch Achray, in the Trossachs just north of Stirling.

DSCF0272.jpg

W

wiggles

thanks for all the answers guys :You_Rock_

my girlfriend has been down the wye and said it was really nice

as for where i am its near langport,so im very close to the parret,not great for canoeing although ive done it in there before

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE