canoe trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I've been gone a few works, mostly for work. While I was gone, I found a this neat canoe, a Bell Merlin II, and took if for a paddle in northern Wisconsin. It weighs probably a little over 30 lbs and is made of Kevlar.

Here it is, loaded up with two packs, and parked on Lost Canoe Lake in northern Wisconsin.

merlinii1b.jpg

My little solo Hubba 1 performed flawlessly and I had plenty of rain to try it out.

hubba1c.jpg

A very luxurious campsite!

toilet2b.jpg

One of several portages I made:

lostcanoeportage1b.jpg

Two packs allowed me to balance my load in the canoe nicely. Wet on the outside but dry on the inside. Of course, I had Cabelas dry bags on the inside. :)

canoepacks1b.jpg

A quick lunch. Nothing slices up a snack like an opinel.

opinellunch1b.jpg

This is a view from the canoe:

canoeview1b.jpg

Pallette lake:

pallette1c.jpg

Escamaba lake:

escanaba3b.jpg

escanaba4b.jpg

Some loons:

loons2b.jpg

loon3b.jpg

loon2c.jpg

A juvenile eagle:

juveagle3b.jpg

You can just see the nest at the right in the birch in this pic.

juveagle1b.jpg

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hoodoo said:
This is a view from the canoe:

canoeview1b.jpg
Mmmmm.... I remember the times in Sweden... :D Can't wait for next year, when we're canoeing again! :eek:): :eek:):
Looks like a nice trip. :biggthump

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Great pic's Hoodoo.
Beautiful scenery.

I just tried a canoe recently and have to say if there is a quicker way to drown i can't think what it is.
Spent most of the time upside down ,very wet ,very cold ,great fun.:eek:): :eek:): :eek:):
396_9682crop_2.jpg

Just finished reading "On Celtic tides" by Chris Duff but i think i need more practice :wink:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Tone, I will be around for the rest of this week, then back to Wisconsin for two weeks of work and a week for grouse hunting and some bowhunting in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I'm on sabbatical this semester so no classes. Gotta play when I can. :wink:

I don't know about bullet proof but it bounces off rocks pretty good. :)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
rapidboy said:
Great pic's Hoodoo.
Beautiful scenery.

I just tried a canoe recently and have to say if there is a quicker way to drown i can't think what it is.

Canoe you say? :?: We don't call those little sausages thingys with a cockpit canoes around here. :rolmao:

Quill

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 29, 2004
Wisconsin
What part of nothern Wisconsin Hoodoo? Close to the UP? After living next to Lake Superior and having people from Madison say that Eau Claire was northern, I wonder. Does bring back the days of fishing the Brule and paddling the flowages.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
hoodoo... how much would a kevlar canoe set you back in the USofA.

the difference between a canoe and a kayak is not determined by weather it has a closed or open cockpit, but by weather you are using a paddle with just one blade on the end or a paddle with two.

Quill

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 29, 2004
Wisconsin
I see from a google search, the Do Nothing Really list in Vilas county around Manitowish Waters. I real nice area I have not had the pleasue of exploring much. Thanks again for the pics. The bring back memories. And the loons our speacial. Their call on a foggy morning is one of the most hauntingly beatiful sounds there is. :super:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Yup, this trip was in the Northern Highland State Forest, which borders the UP of Michigan.

This canoe sells for around $1700-$1900. I think it is less if you get aluminum trim instead of wood trim. Mine was marked down $300 and I got $450 out of my old canoe in trade so I ain't complaining. With a deal like that, I figured it was now or never. I bought the old canoe from the same dealer for around $500 a couple years ago so I got to use if for two years and it only cost me $50. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE