Canoe tragedy.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I had high hopes when I first read the story yesterday evening that it would turn out well. Sad news and my thoughts go out to the families.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I just heard about this too :sigh:

It's a beautiful bit of the world, but as HWMBLT has just said to me, with clear blue sunny skies the sea lochs up there can look like the Med, but by heavens they're bitter cold if you end up in the water.

A real shame, and such a pity with a young family shattered like that.
Many of us on here and on SotP paddled in similar lochs with our own children, and have such wonderful memories of the days; we can only sympathise and give condolances.

M

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Tragic news but i wish the BBC wouldn't contradict themselves in the article:

"We found her face down, she was unconscious. She had her buoyancy aid on, it was keeping her afloat but it wasn't keeping her head out the water.

"So we understand that the six would have required to be wearing life jackets but there is no indication yet of exactly what happened."

So which one is it? Life jackets by their very design have a collar on to keep your face out of the water, buoyancy aids do not. It does however highlight the importance of having knowledge of what you are sailing/floating on especially if the water is tidal.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The uninitiated do not understand the difference...
Tragic news but i wish the BBC wouldn't contradict themselves in the article:

"We found her face down, she was unconscious. She had her buoyancy aid on, it was keeping her afloat but it wasn't keeping her head out the water.

"So we understand that the six would have required to be wearing life jackets but there is no indication yet of exactly what happened."

So which one is it? Life jackets by their very design have a collar on to keep your face out of the water, buoyancy aids do not. It does however highlight the importance of having knowledge of what you are sailing/floating on especially if the water is tidal.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
My condolences to all, its just sent a cold shiver dahn my spine. I've recently had Chiseller III on the river with just a buoyancy vest....he's a good swimmer, but this is making me seek a proper life jacket for him next time were on the river.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
You would think that but the article does say he was out in a boat with a friend looking for them so you'd think at least 1 of them knows the difference.

Actually-

The co-owner of the Sands campsite (where we are off to tomorrow incidentally) stated the girl was wearing a buoyancy aid when they found her but it was a BBC reporter who is quoted as saying they would have been required to wear life jackets.

ATB

KP

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Very sad, heard this this morning on the radio after laughing out loud at the big cat story.

Thoughts to the families and a it should be a reminder to all that the sea is a very unforgiving place.

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Yes very sad, we used to live on loch maree and regularly went to Gairloch.

We go out in are canoe as much as we can, wife and I have buoyancy aids, the kids both have life jackets.

But story's like this always brings it home just how quickly things can happen.

My deepest sympathies go out to the family's.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
i insist on my kids wearing wetsuits as well as bouyancy aids when out in the canoe ,just for the cold shock factor if they ever go in !!

such a shame ,my thoughts are with the family !!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Hard to comprehend the magnitude of the loss. I wish the family strength to deal with their sorrow and some kind of peace of mind down the road. Sincere condolences.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE