Canoe self rescue video - capistrano flip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Hi Guys, just moving a few of my videos i've shot over to my new youtube channel and since i've just re-edited this footage to make it easier to watch and flow a bit better, i thought i'd post it up here for anyone interested in practising the capistrano flip. Hope you enjoy watching, any feedback appreciated guys.

Col

[video=youtube_share;Yv478KfajZ8]http://youtu.be/Yv478KfajZ8[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Excellent video. Well demonstrated and put together. Great tip on the water filled dry-bag, and unzipping/streamlining the buoyancy aid. I usually use a dry-bag/portage sack with an adjustable tether to balance the boat on re entry (but the water sack idea is outstanding - a real Dohh! Why didn't I think of that moment) goodjob

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Excellent video. Well demonstrated and put together. Great tip on the water filled dry-bag, and unzipping/streamlining the buoyancy aid. I usually use a dry-bag/portage sack with an adjustable tether to balance the boat on re entry (but the water sack idea is outstanding - a real Dohh! Why didn't I think of that moment) goodjob

Thanks very much mate for the kind comments, i had noticed that when i failed in my attempt at re-entry, it was always that split second of timing where you either make it in to the boat or more usually, it take you that split second too long and the boat take too much water on and then recapsizes again, thats when i kinda had the eureka moment about the dry bag, and since using it, i've managed to get into the boat every time.

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
My portage sack normally has quite bit of extra kit in it, as I use it to trim the boat for certain conditions. The plus side is if I flip/roll the boat over it, I normally have very little bailing to do as it helps push the bottom gunnel a little more out of the water.
But often I just want to take the lightweight approach and until now haven't as climbing in without a counterweight, for me at least, is sketchy to say the least. Thanks to you bud, I now have a superb lightweight minimalist option :D

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
My portage sack normally has quite bit of extra kit in it, as I use it to trim the boat for certain conditions. The plus side is if I flip/roll the boat over it, I normally have very little bailing to do as it helps push the bottom gunnel a little more out of the water.
But often I just want to take the lightweight approach and until now haven't as climbing in without a counterweight, for me at least, is sketchy to say the least. Thanks to you bud, I now have a superb lightweight minimalist option :D

No probs mate, glad i could help

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hi Col, Now as you know,I've already posted and commented over on SoTP with a few pointers:)

However,I've just been watching this again and noticed a couple more, small things-
You tip the boat, then sort yourself out.
That's okay but you then leave the side of the boat with the dry-bag you use for a counter balance, tootle round to the other side and start bailing, only to go back around to the other side again, once you've finished with the baler, to sort out the dry-bag.
Would it not be quicker to sort out your balance bag first, as you're there already?
You could have actually filled the bag with water from inside the boat too, then bale it out.?

A really good effort and well done to you for taking the time to post it up. I know only too well, how long this sort of thing takes to put together;)

Have you had any professional instruction or coaching by the way? or are you learning as you go?

best wishes and good luck

Steve

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
That's a brill video. Can't imagine it being clearer even if you had it filmed by a third party.

Never heard of this rescue technique (well, not under this name). I was taught to re-enter the boat over the end and we used to put enough bouyancy in our canoes to make them float with someone in them. That way you would re-enter the canoe with it mostly flooded (easier to get in) and bail out once in the boat. Can be a bit hard to to in choppy water.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE