Canoe Paddle - YouTube Video

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Some sort of US version of Country File. The first bit is about this canoe paddle maker, amazing looking paddles.

Whiskey Jack Paddles

One thing I would ask, He seems to angle the blade of the paddle, never seen a paddle like this. Does it have an effect?

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Nice work on his paddles, but not my cup of tea. I don't like stripey paddles! And I don't like bent paddles. They don't give the fine control you can get from a straight paddle. They are ok if you like to go fast in a straight line. You can't really do the J stroke, or the Indian stroke and they are more noisy too.

Now, how long before I get shot at...:naughty:

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Ok, so straight paddles, but what is the difference in width about?

There seems to be what I think of as a canoe paddle, and a much thinner version.

Also how do you workout the length?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm the same Joel, I prefer one piece paddles.

Retro over on SOTP had one of those paddles and snapped it. The blade made a nice chopping board though.

I think he's gone through two or three now Michael :eek:

I'm sticking to my Redtails me thinks.

Belargehair

Mar 3, 2009
Whites Lake
Different paddle shapes are for different types of water. The bent paddle allows for a better entry angle as you plunge the paddle in the water at the start of your stroke. Wide paddles are good for shallow water as they can be a bit shorter but still maintain the same approximate surface area.
I'm no expert but there are a lot of web pages out there that explain paddle shapes.

I prefer the otter tail myself.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Different paddle shapes are for different types of water. The bent paddle allows for a better entry angle as you plunge the paddle in the water at the start of your stroke. Wide paddles are good for shallow water as they can be a bit shorter but still maintain the same approximate surface area.
I'm no expert but there are a lot of web pages out there that explain paddle shapes.

I prefer the otter tail myself.

http://www.sailsandpoint.org/?content=Thinkingaboutbuyingapaddle

http://www.ocontopaddles.com/page/page/1672793.htm

Interesting thing is the angled paddle makes sense now.

But the rest...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE