Canoe Camping on Loch Lomond

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com

hammock canoe campig loch lomond inchconnachan island
by Nick_Scots, on Flickr

Paddled and sailed out from Luss to Hammock camp on Inchconnachan. A few midges about earlier but none now, sitting in my hammock. The Hammock is an old -2006 - one so the built in net is mozzie, not small enough to stop midges. So Im lying in my hammock with the full midge jacket ready. It should sit over my sleeping bag hood. I brought two desert issue bashas as it may have rained but all the thunderstorms tracked north east away from me.

Some pics below

open canoe sailing loch lomond by Nick_Scots, on Flickr

Last edited:

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
cracking pictures they are really nice, i feel your pain on the midges as i go every month up to ground past there and midges are bad good job you had a suit ,atb wayne

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Nice pics! What is the brand of the canoe sail? My interest in those has been peaked, but only think I can find on google are whole rigging kits for turning a canoe into a sail boat... not the mini packable ones.

The sail is cool as when the wind gets strong it bends to de power. I clip it into the centre thwart so only a reach away. It's Decathlon bought, BIC brand. It folds up ibto the bag, like a pop up tent. You dont need any rigging poibts, madt feet etc.

Just sitting on Inchmoan beach, no wind to use it back to the car !

Last edited:

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
cracking pictures they are really nice, i feel your pain on the midges as i go every month up to ground past there and midges are bad good job you had a suit ,atb wayne

Surprisingly no mudge issue last night, no breeze either. A few around the hammock when packing up this morning.
I normally take a two man tent with big doors if summer camping.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
The setup I used, with a DD Travel Hammock, not midge proof but mozzie proof net. Desert Issue tarps, £9 off ebay, very good but had to use diagonally over th tarp, touch to short. One tarp for hammock the other overlapped for admin or cooking if need be.

Double tarp in case thunder arrives by Nick_Scots, on Flickr

Nice loch view from my hammock.

Nice view from my hammock reading by Nick_Scots, on Flickr

Canoe turned in for the night. Had a wee dusk paddle, flat calm, few fish jumping.

Canoe Camping in a Hammock by Nick_Scots, on Flickr

Lots of space for a group hang.

Bay View by Nick_Scots, on Flickr

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Nice photos. idyllic. Do those kayak sails work reasonably well in an open canoe? Would you buy one again? They seem quite expensive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE