Canoe Camping in the Lakes.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Went up to the lakes for a few days, with just the pup to introduce him to the canoe.

[Not had the canoe out for over a year, due to health, so it was a welcome break!]

I also wanted to try out my new tent, which arrived from the states.

Are we there yet?

I couldnt do any trawling from the canoe, as the pup would have just eaten the rod.

Silver Bay, Ullswater

Norfolk Island Ullswater [I had to climb to this elevated position, just to get a mobile phone signal!]

Pup in his PFD:

The Canoe was tippy with the pup hopping around in it. He took a while to settle down.
Luckily I met another friendly fellow out for a paddle, whose dog sat happily on the bow, and my pup copied his dog!
He fell in a couple of times, but seemed to enjoy it. I'll get him out on a local river next week.

The Tent was pure canvas comfort! Loved it. Fantastic tent, for UK conditions. Its 6'6" at the centre, and 6'3" around the edges. 16oz vinyl heavy duty groundsheet. Very nice treated 'army cotton duck' canvas. 10' squared. very strong steel poles, which make a strong frame. And its got a nice airy light interior, because its mainly cream with a white roof. Taut pitch. Would be a really nice tent to stay in for an extended period.
IMG_0818_zps0729fecb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

View from back windows of tent onto campsite.

Most of the time I had the back no seeum mesh windows zipped up for privacy, and was able to enjoy this view from the front windows of the tent:

The air flow through the mesh windows was nice in the heat.

We had a couple of flash floods, and lightning overhead which just added to the atmosphere.:D

The tent handled the inclement weather no probs.

Not a debris shelter. :cool:

Wool carpeting.

I had the pup on a 15 foot lead screwed into the ground, so I was able to chill in the tent, without fear of him running off.

Took the primus for cooking.

My SP3 Prospector
IMG_0850_zps144dedec.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Nice boat Dave, I've just fit some solid block flotation to my (identical) Prospector, didn't trust the airbags!

Looks like you had a good mix of weather as well, isn't it refreshing to get back out on the water after a long spell away from it!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Nice boat Dave, I've just fit some solid block flotation to my (identical) Prospector, didn't trust the airbags!

Looks like you had a good mix of weather as well, isn't it refreshing to get back out on the water after a long spell away from it!

Thanks bluffer. Where did you get the solid blocks from? I bought the prospector in 2008. Really like it. It took me a day to get back into the groove, and the pup didnt help! But its sooo responsive. Yes. Ill health has plagued me for the last few years on and off. I find driving and setting up campto be very fatiguing at times. The actual paddling is fine though.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Great stuff, that tent set-up looks like luxury camping!

I really fancy trying getting out on the water, keep looking at packrafts... Must resist

Matt

Jun 27, 2011
Canada
Really nice pics of the lake, and the surrounding hills, beautiful spot. Massive big tent though, lucky you didn't have to hike it in. BTW, your dog has a quite nice looking face.
Cheers
Alex

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Great stuff, that tent set-up looks like luxury camping!

I really fancy trying getting out on the water, keep looking at packrafts... Must resist

Matt

Yeh I quite fancied a packraft myself for a while. :)

Really nice pics of the lake, and the surrounding hills, beautiful spot. Massive big tent though, lucky you didn't have to hike it in. BTW, your dog has a quite nice looking face.
Cheers
Alex

Thankyou.

Yep he's a handsome hound isnt he? :D

The flexbow tent design is, based on an american classic tent callled a spring bar.

That's what they are designed to do in high winds. Spring, and Flex

The main frame is a like a goalpost, and very sturdy and stable.
You can add guylines, from the top two corners. To peg it even more securely. It should easily handle most of what the UK can throw at it.
It was pitched on very rocky ground, and the steel pegs are very hard. You wont bend them.

I like the design. You get more headroom than a tipi. The groundsheet works well, and I want a decent groundsheet for UK conditions.
The windows are great. Great ventilation. The no seeum mesh is really thick strong stuff. Its used by the elk hunting crowd in the states as well as for family camping. Its very rugged, and its nice to have an awning I can sit under when its chucking down.:D

Its a heavy tent at 33kg. Although most of that weight is in the poles. No way Id try carrying it around. But then I wouldnt try carrying a 12kg tipi around either.

Last edited:

jim.b

Maker Plus
Jul 3, 2013
hull
Looks like a great trip! Was you on an actual site or did you just pull up at the edge of the lake?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I had a mate who lived just by the lake a few years ago and we had absolutely great parties by that lakeshore.
Camped out pretty much where you did by the looks of it and generally had a great time.

I've always liked Ullswater over the others, especially Windermere which is just chocka with poseurs on big boats that never go anywhere.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Looks like a great trip, thanks for sharing with us.

Youre Welcome.

Looks like a great trip! Was you on an actual site or did you just pull up at the edge of the lake?

It was a campsite Jim. Not many level pitches though.

I had a mate who lived just by the lake a few years ago and we had absolutely great parties by that lakeshore.
Camped out pretty much where you did by the looks of it and generally had a great time.
I've always liked Ullswater over the others, especially Windermere which is just chocka with poseurs on big boats that never go anywhere.
It was quite busy, and there was a bit of a headwind.

Excellent report, Dave! Thanks for sharing.

Many Thanks Gordon.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Enjoyed your report a lot. I need a canoe (and a dog!) in my life. Great pics too.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Looks like an absolutely brilliant chill out couple of days :D

Happy looking dog, great looking tent and set up, and a really beautiful bit of the world :)

Thank you for sharing :cool:

cheers,
Mary

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Looks like a lovely trip - thanks for the write up.

Thanks for the comment Will.

Enjoyed your report a lot. I need a canoe (and a dog!) in my life. Great pics too.

Cheers copperhead. I now need a log cabin, some land in alaska, and a remington 700 to go with them. ;)

Looks like an absolutely brilliant chill out couple of days :D

Happy looking dog, great looking tent and set up, and a really beautiful bit of the world :)

Thank you for sharing :cool:

cheers,
Mary

cheers Mary was good fun, even with the 'little terror' :)

Ace pictures mate, looks idyllic! A canoe is on my wants list too,but first off I need to learn how to use the kit ive already got !

Cheers. Im sure you'll get the hang of it quickly enough. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE