Canoe Build with indian style ends

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
As a part of the expedition I am hosting, I am now also building one of the canoes we are going to paddle, from scratch.
it is gonna be a skin on frame canoe.
might you not yet be familiar with our project, we are going to make a documentary, and because of this we have a really nice opportunity to capture the process on film.
So stay tuned you will see step by step how the build is going,

Feel free to share any knowledge, or tips if you got them on building canoes.

[video=youtube;GQUapg7vu28]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQUapg7vu28[/video]

So if you are interested, follow our entire project on Facebook: The Green Route Project

we will also display everything on our Indiegogo page, but you could find that through our facebook, or our Promo video for the expedition: The Promo Video

Hope you guys enjoy and stay tuned!
and if there are certain thing you'd like to see, don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited:

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Thanks everyone,

and there will be more to follow pretty soon, but I still need to brush up on my canoe building Jargon, so might you want to explain what a Shear-line is John?>
Yours sincerely Ruud

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks everyone,

and there will be more to follow pretty soon, but I still need to brush up on my canoe building Jargon, so might you want to explain what a Shear-line is John?>
Yours sincerely Ruud

Sheer-line (sorry - I spelled it wrong first time!) is the curve of the top of the boat towards the bow .. your "Indian ends" are a high ended sheer-line :) from what I can see from your drawing...

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Rocker I knew ^^, and I am aiming for about 3 to 4 inches of rocker,
and the Indian style ends, aren't really Indian style ends anymore, it was the initial thought though we will now be following the drawing
And thanks allot everyone for the kind words!
Yours sincerely Ruud

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
I'm looking for it to have a bit of stability but am planning to make it a little more edgy then your average Discovery.
also a bit thinner, but eventually we will have to see about the result as this is a first for me ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
I took the final measurements today and the canoe is gonna be 420 cm long( 13.7 feet), and at the widest point 88 cm wide, the sheerline of the canoe is gonna be 55 cm high, and at the paddle stroke of the canoe the gunnels are gonna reach a height of 40 cm.
Soon we will be showing you a bit more, either in a video or picture format, expected in about a week , so hang in tight ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE