Canoe access to inland waters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
I'm sure there's a lot of people on here who as part of their bushcrafting activities enjoy a good paddle in an open canoe. What I'm not sure though is how many of you are clear as to the legality of the water you are paddling.
There has been and on-going campaign in an attempt to clarify the legal position and currently over on SOTP there is a dedicated section to it, I urge you to have a read of some of the posts on there. Especially the what can I do and writing to your MP posts.
http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?136-Access-Campaign

You may also remember recently the campaign to prevent the sale of various woodlands around the country. This campaign was run by a group called 38 Degrees. http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/save-our-forests#petition
Well there are a bunch of worthy campaigns running on 38 Degrees and one of them is for the opening up of access rights in England to reflect those found in Scotland which means access to waterways.

http://38degrees.uservoice.com/foru.../suggestions/1265611-access-rights-in-england

This is not just for canoeists but anyone who wants to use the waterways for recreational purposes.

If you believe the waterways should be open access as is the case with open land as a result of the Right to Roam act can I ask that you visit this campaign and add your vote to the case. You can vote three times for any cause and leave comments as you wish. Just one note however, leaving a comment does not automatically mean you have voted. There is a separate button to click which adds your votes.

In the last two weeks the campaign has moved from 300th to 7th so lets see if we can move it higher. :)

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
The campaign is continuing up the order having briefly moved into 5th but has now settled at 6th.
The latest supporters have come from the wild swimming community and the Walkers but it still needs your vote to make it happen.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
So what's with the "Start your 30 day free trial" in the "Terms of Service"?

It allows you to post on private forums and add attachments etc.
Think of it like your BCUK membership, you can sign up to make posts but only contributing members can view certain areas.

Don't worry, this is not a requirement to be able to post a comment on the campaign page or cast your vote. Just remember you can cast 3 votes for any one campaign. Posting a comment does not automatically cast a vote however you must press the vote button.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
It allows you to post on private forums and add attachments etc.
Think of it like your BCUK membership, you can sign up to make posts but only contributing members can view certain areas.

Don't worry, this is not a requirement to be able to post a comment on the campaign page or cast your vote. Just remember you can cast 3 votes for any one campaign. Posting a comment does not automatically cast a vote however you must press the vote button.

Well I pressed the 'VOTE' button but nothing happened, which is why I was nosing around in the TOS page.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Not sure what's happening there ged. When I clicked the vote button a window popped up with 3 boxes asking for 1, 2 or 3 votes and a box for a username and password for if you make a comment.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE