Candle lights???

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Is there any alternative to the uco candle lanterns. I have done a search around and it has turned up nothing. They seem great and i love the idea as i currently have a coleman dual fuel lamp thats huge and just lights up everywhere but sometimes it just overkill. Its a great piece of kit and i love it but its just too big to carry in the pack. So i was looking for something smaller that will fit into my pack and be pretty bomb proof. Also at £20 quid for a candle holder they seem a bit pricey.
So 2 questions really.....

1 Are they as good as they look ?
2 Is there any cheaper option ?

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
They are great but the replacement candles are expensive (ordinary candles block the spring mechanism).
I have tinkered with making my own replacement candles with mixed success. (you need candles with a high melting point)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I believe the bushco lantern is often availble on the bay, and I hear it takes a normal household candle cut in two. Gotta be a god deal as my Uco candles are quite costly in Germany, not too sure about here in UK though.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Cheers guys they look great but still not saving any cash, other than running costs but as i dont get out as much as id like the running cost is secondary to initial purchase price .......well as long as its not stupid if you know what i mean ;)

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Singeblister said:
I got one off fleabay a long while ago it was £8 if I remember right , I will show you next time your over , got that thing off Paul for you here as well mate ,,,, now get to ebay and trawl those pages Kit Monster :lmao:

Looks behind me for the kit monster..............there is only me here :lmao: .......Trys to look all innocent you cant be talking about me can you :D .
Cheers mate i will get down for it soon.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
There's always these.

Bottlelamp.jpg

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I picked up my lanterns from ebay for around a fiver including postage, they work as well as the twenty quid jobbies.
I have found some candles that work in these that cost a lot less than the genuine type, I have offered to try and organise a group buy in the past but there wasn't enough response.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
I once saw an interesting folding lantern from WW2 on the web...
Think it'd be nice too, dunno where to get it though.

Goose said:
I picked up my lanterns from ebay for around a fiver including postage, they work as well as the twenty quid jobbies.
I have found some candles that work in these that cost a lot less than the genuine type, I have offered to try and organise a group buy in the past but there wasn't enough response.
Do you get these candles on the net or local Goose ?
I didn't see the group buy for em but I would be interested in getting some for mine :)

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
After years of sorrow I replaced my candle lantern. Don't see any pros (especially
not for the leaking paraffin insert). Mine is from Northern Lights and I still use it on
the balkony, but out in the woods only Krill lightsticks link .
(reasons: waterproof, less weight + space, no fire, 180degree version....you know that) ;about 12 - 15 Euros.
Why the candle lanterns?

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Ogden said:
Why the candle lanterns?

Dont know really , i just like the glow from them.
Cheers for all the advice guys i really like the folding lantern i might get one of them for home. As i am a self confessed kit monster.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Singeblister said:
Do you get these candles on the net or local Goose ?
I didn't see the group buy for em but I would be interested in getting some for mine :)
Got them local, The candle factory near Beeston, the ones I got were about an inch too long no problem chopping the ends off though. I was going to order a box but I think it may be 500 candles! I bought a couple for about 50p each and a boxfull takes the cost right down. I didn't start a group buy as last time it was mentioned nobody was interested.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE