Candle Lanterns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GrizzlyGrant

Jul 18, 2015
Wales
I've tried the citronella candles, I cant say that I have noticed any difference, I still buy them, when it comes to Midges anything helps even if its just a psychological effect. I have the UCO original, the only reason I carry 3 spare candles is that's the size of the box they come in, but one of my spares is always a Beeswax job, the beeswax is very handy for lots of other jobs. The original UCO lamp also has a nice accessory upgrade, a small LED light that fits in the base. Head lamps and torches are fine when you need to do stuff but quite harsh sometimes but sitting in a bothy with a candle or two is just a grand experience. One thing is for sure, you cant fall asleep staring into a torch.
That's exactly what I wanted to hear.. I'm sold! Is there any specific candle holder you use? Might as well get one of them as well

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
What are the views on leaving a candle lantern or a candle burning in a tent all night, my thoughts here are possible condensation reduction and perhaps a small increase in temperature for colder weather.

I cannot see me doing it in a small tent that basically only has a sleeping area, but in a tent or shelter that has a decent sized bare ground enclosed area adjacent to the sleeping area, well, that seems safe enough for me as much less likely to get knocked over.

I not sure I would want to keep a candle burning (suspended) in this type of tent: http://www.vaude.com/en-GB/Products/Tents/Odyssee-L-2P-green.html

But perhaps in these types tents etc, (exclude the bathtub floor on the porch): http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/duke-of-edinburgh-recommended/196-omega-250.html
or this for example, where half of the tent has bare ground. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/3Ful...licon-PU-coating-camping-tent/2030791995.html

On the last 2 shelter types I would probably leave the candle on the ground, hope all that makes sense :).

Your views appreciated.

Ta, rorymax

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
any specific candle holder you use
I have the UCO Original Candle lantern , a fine wee lamp, you might want to look at the UCO Original lantern +LED. One lantern will do you just fine, occasionally I just light one of the spare candles just for effect.
PS Id never herd about the Midge tablet thing that sits on the top o the lamp until I read this post, it's got to be worth a try, Avon SSS is good stuff, but I'm not getting rid of my Midge head net just yet, they are worth there weight in gold.
I've knocked over my lamp loads o times, but not to much of a pain to clean, if its on the ground or the grounds not level, just pin it down with a tent peg.
Happy Trails Bro.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
A
I was looking at the civil war sutler stuff. Is it good?

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

As I said I bought the tin as a present but the service was prompt and good. The tin itself I probably could've made with a bit of practice but the price made it worth pushing the button. They do some lovely kit, one of my next purchases is to be a lantern that uses thin cow horn instead of glass as windows for a mate who has a hankering for one and if I remember correctly CWS are one of the few folk to make one.
So I'd say that aye for the couple of times I've used them they were top folk & would get a :thumbup: from me.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
What are the views on leaving a candle lantern or a candle burning in a tent all night, my thoughts here are possible condensation reduction and perhaps a small increase in temperature for colder weather.

I cannot see me doing it in a small tent that basically only has a sleeping area, but in a tent or shelter that has a decent sized bare ground enclosed area adjacent to the sleeping area, well, that seems safe enough for me as much less likely to get knocked over.

I not sure I would want to keep a candle burning (suspended) in this type of tent: http://www.vaude.com/en-GB/Products/Tents/Odyssee-L-2P-green.html

But perhaps in these types tents etc, (exclude the bathtub floor on the porch): http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/duke-of-edinburgh-recommended/196-omega-250.html
or this for example, where half of the tent has bare ground. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/3Ful...licon-PU-coating-camping-tent/2030791995.html

On the last 2 shelter types I would probably leave the candle on the ground, hope all that makes sense :).

Your views appreciated.

Ta, rorymax

A burning candle produces water so will add to condensation issues.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
A burning candle produces water so will add to condensation issues.

We've debated this here before, and opinion was divided.

My experience suggests to me that it reduces condensation. Others disagree.

I suppose there are several possible effects:

1. Heat from candle heats the surfaces enough to reduce condensation
2. Water from combustion increases condensation
3. Heat from the candle causes air circulation that reduces condensation.
4. All of above negligible, but cozy glow from candle reduces perception of condensation.

I think we'd need to do an experiment with two identical tents to establish the truth.

Ivanhoe

Forager
Aug 28, 2011
Sweden
Flak-Opgdda6.jpg

Candle lanterns are amazing! Cheap, reliable, cosy and warm! :) And they spread a much nicer light than LEDs do.

Ethicsnyckelpiga6.jpg

I've got two of them, but today I have painted one of them green, to match the rest of my equipment.

They have a plastic window, a hook to hang them on, two metal handles that folds away and a small door
on the back so you can access the candle.

These are "testlanterns" made in 1940! :cool:

The bottom with its candle can be removed and used anywhere you need light.

Ethics-RipaI6.jpg

Here I'm drying my gloves on the lantern, during a winter expedition.

My little candle made my tent 10 degrees Celsius warmer than the outside, so I really can't understand
that some doubt the drying and warming effect that a candle has...

I love them!

:)

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Just been to the Uco Candle website http://ucogear.com/candle-lanterns according to them their lanterns reduce condensation, but that is not an argument or debate I want to get involved in :).

Are there cheaper alternatives to the UCO candles ? I may be wrong but I thought I heard that IKEA sold candles that fitted or could be easily modified to fit.

I am feeling more comfortable about using candle lanterns inside a shelter now.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
As you might expect, the people who brought you Toblerone and the SAK, also do quite a nice lantern...

attachment.php

Attachments

• SAL.jpg
    SAL.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 322

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Point of interest.... candle lanterns I've had one hanging in my garage for quite a number of years now & until today I had regarded it as a cheap piece of tat made from tin & had overlooked it as a useful piece of camping equipment, this thread has made me think again & on closer inspection it is actually quite sturdily made and well designed & considering my garage is not the driest of places & that it has survived with no signs of rust or corrosion.... it has scrubbed up well... I have looked on the net & can't see any others like it, its not mega old, but over 13 years anyway, & probably wasn't mega dear, stickers on base indicate made in china, and a warning that hanging bracket gets hot, I did have another Candle Lantern a Coghlans one which I can't recall seeing for a while... I don't know if I will actually use this one for camping but it is definitely an option that I may well consider now after reading this thread...

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Are there cheaper alternatives to the UCO candles ? I may be wrong but I thought I heard that IKEA sold candles that fitted or could be easily modified to fit.

Hi someone on here did post up a thread about their home made lamp, made from a aerosol can and a spice jar I think, it actually looked very good.
I did a quick search for it but no joy yet, if I find it Ill add it here.
The other lamps I use are just my water bottles.
Improvised Port and Starboard / bar lamps.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Not personally yet but I gather the tablets are effective.

Trying to remember the name of the company whose lamp I trialed a few years back that had mozzie things that you popped above the flame to give off fumes. I tried it a few times and each time I did the mozzie pads caught fire, on the last attempt it set the whole lantern up and luckily I caught it before I damaged my kit. Remember speaking to an insurance agent who was a customer around that time an he said they had a few claims from mozzie pads causing fires but a.lot more from plug in air fresheners that folk forgot about and caused house fires. So I've a wee aversion to te pad type mozzie repelents.
That and citronela oil/candles gives me the boak and I feel unwell for a while afterwards if I'm in a tent/room with them.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
citronela oil/candles gives me the boak and I feel unwell for a while afterwards if I'm in a tent/room with them.

so apart from the boak effect mister goat are citronella candles effective against our wee Scottish midges, I've read Listerine mouth wash used directly on the skin allegedly works (flavour not specified) I've not tried it yet though I do have it on stand by, citronella candles give me the boak also...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
so apart from the boak effect mister goat are citronella candles effective against our wee Scottish midges, I've read Listerine mouth wash used directly on the skin allegedly works (flavour not specified) I've not tried it yet though I do have it on stand by, citronella candles give me the boak also...

I think that if you are in an enclosed area or its a very still night that the candles "help", but wont see off the never ending hoards of WCM. Not read about the Listerine®, though in it's history it's been used for most things (worth reading up on it). Though I can imagine that the fumes given off will help. I often crush wild mint and apply it to my skin when out. Smells good, freshens you up and deters some insects.
The most effective thing that I've used personaly are the Don't Bite Me Patch®. You smell a bit like a Twiglet® but it keeps midge, clegg & ticks at bay.

Mike_B

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2009
Perth, Scotland
Tried Listerine - doesn't work against Scottish midges - -

As to leaving a lamp burning overnight, personally I'd not take the risk, certainly not inside a small tent. Heat - yes. Firerisk - Yes! I gave up on the little candle lamps years ago in favour of an LED but I agree the light isn't as nice. Then again, when base-camping I use a Tilley or a Vapalux and there's nothing subtle about them! But they DO give off lots of heat!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE