Canadian canoe expedition 2012

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gan_pi

Tenderfoot
May 21, 2011
Manchester, UK
Hello All,

I'm new to this bushcraft lark, but since FluffyRug talked me into a little trip to the Lake District I've gotten the (expensive) bug ;)

anyway I was checking through the kit list and wondered about packing some of these bits. I thought the knives and axes may be an issue at Halifax, but they don't seem to be bothered about that provided its in the hold (still need to check UK side, but I'm betting it'll be the same).

They do care about the cooker bit. The list of things you can/can't take via the hold (link below) forbids any compressed gas fuels, and only fuel containers where 'adequate measures have been taken to nullify any hazard' I take this to imply that we're gonna have to travel with these filled with water or similar and then fuel them in CA, is this everyone else's opinion?

I'm really looking forward to the trip, hoping BushMoot gets the numbers up to make it a goer, otherwise I can see a more local trip getting sorted ;)

cheers
-Gan_pi

http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/page.aspx?id=58&pname=CompleteItemList_ListeCompleteArticles&lang=en

Becky

Forager
Nov 11, 2005
west midlands
Hi All

The following is an official list of all those that have paid their deposits for this expedition and consequently represent the numbers so far:

1.Bighead
2.ShaunRoberts
3.FluffyERug
4.gan_pi
5.clubduvet
6.neumo

Becky

Forager
Nov 11, 2005
west midlands
Hello.Average fitness is required. Most portages are done in pairs and you only carry what you can manage and the majority of the portages are only a few hundred meters long. Other than that you are on the water.
Becky

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
How much white water will be involved with this trip? I am getting some more lessons in preperation for the trip but it would be good to know. I have done it in the past but have not done any for a while. Thanks

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
Is this expedition still taking place, and are there any places left, as I am interested in coming and have only just discovered it.

It just seems a bit odd to me that there have been no postings since September!

clubduvet

Jan 3, 2010
Silsoe
www.addimpact.co.uk
Aye hertsboy, I was wondering the same myself, but the list has been updated regularly (adding and subtracting people, just nobody added recently) so looks like 6 people so far, but need a minimum of 12.

Therefore, yes I 'assume' there are still places (Becky should be able to confirm), but I guess we won't know about go ahead until Feb 2012 depending on numbers.

Last edited:

Becky

Forager
Nov 11, 2005
west midlands
Hi All

The following is an official list of all those that have paid their deposits for this expedition and consequently represent the numbers so far:

1.Bighead
2.ShaunRoberts
3.FluffyERug
4.gan_pi
5.clubduvet
6.neumo
7.hertsboy

Merry Christmas to everyone!!​

gan_pi

Tenderfoot
May 21, 2011
Manchester, UK
i certainly hope this is still going on. I can see me heading over that way if it doesn't go ahead and just go camp somewhere suitably wild. won't be able to do as much and would still need to sort out passes for some bits, but I've relatives over there who may be able to help...and I think there was someone on here who was local?...

till then I'll just book a week up in scotland I think

clubduvet

Jan 3, 2010
Silsoe
www.addimpact.co.uk
Are there any more people interested in this trip, but holding out until nearer the cut off point to confirm with deposits...???

Just so there is an indication of whether the trip will go ahead or not, otherwise I guess I'll need to start making arrangements to take the Jeep across Corsica or the Pyrenees for a couple of weeks later in the year.

Cheers

Last edited:

Becky

Forager
Nov 11, 2005
west midlands
Hi clubduvet

We still have just under a month until the go/no go date so thats stil plenty of time for more people to join on, fingers crossed!!
Becky
Bushcraft Expeditions

clubduvet

Jan 3, 2010
Silsoe
www.addimpact.co.uk
Thanks for the reply Becky and you're absolutely right (of course), but having seen the Arctic trip cancelled (which I also fancied) it made me a little antsy......lol.

Just takes a fair amount of organisation here for me with work and care for my Autistic 7yr old etc that I just like to plan as far ahead as possible should I need to arrange a contingency plan.

As you say........fingers crossed...!!

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
Only just came across this but it looks really interesting - just a shame I'm all planned up for boys trips this year... Don't think the marriage would last a year if I signed up!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE