Can you use lamp oil in a trangia?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I have a trangia but no alchohol or meths but I do have some lamp oil kicking about, would I be able to use it in the trangia?

Thanks,
Asa Samuel.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Never tried it, but I would imagine that it is too viscous and not volatile enough to work.

You can pick up a gallon of meths for about a tenner from hardware shops / decorators suppliers (avoid B&Q and the diy sheds - they are a rip off), so why ruin a good burner...

Just my opinion.

Simon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Plenty of places do it mail order - probably cheaper than driving for a couple of quid delivery - I had three gallons delivered a while back!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Lamp oil is paraffin, so NO.

Surgical spirit is too low in strength to work (Jim, smell of camphor, thats a new one on me, no smell on the surgical spirit we use at the hospital) well if at all in a Trangia.

Bulk meths here, eBay item 320152604660 buy two and no extra postage

Some people are using

Methanol is much cheaper and I've started using it now but its more toxic than meths so don't drink it or spill a lot on your skin

eBay 140318676433

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Surgical spirit is too low in strength to work (Jim, smell of camphor, thats a new one on me, no smell on the surgical spirit we use at the hospital) well if at all in a Trangia.

I'm talking about the sort of 'surgical spirit' you get from a chemist. I was with a youth group some years ago and it was bought by mistake. It burnt OK, but the smell of camphor was strong!

Jim

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'm talking about the sort of 'surgical spirit' you get from a chemist. I was with a youth group some years ago and it was bought by mistake. It burnt OK, but the smell of camphor was strong!

Jim

Ahh, scented surgical spirit then.

I held off using Methanol for some time concerned over toxicity, but a couple of guys in Norway I speak to have used it for years and many Americans use HEET which is methanol so I took the plunge.

The cost appeals because I want to use my Heatpal 5100 or Gloys Heatpal as tent heaters and they can use a litre of alcohol a night each and I've scrapped plans to buy and use a woodburner in a tent, too labour intensive and bulky for me.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I used to get methanol from the science dept. until our supplier asked why we were suddenly using a lot more than usual.

Just watch the Gov as you have to a licence to use it as fuel IIRC.

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE