Can you read this engraving?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I have another old vintage billhook in the same shape and size, and it also has the blade exactly the same curve and angle. They actually came togetther as a set a few year ago I recall now. Will get the photo of the 2nd set tomorrow. Both of them are in too consistent perfect shape and condition for damaged billhooks by tractor :D

Interersting. I've never seen a billhook with that shape but there are a few sickles that are. Shearing hooks used by thatchers being the nearest in size, style and weight. Maybe they were made or modified for a thatcher?

Reactions: spader

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
This is the 2nd billhook also with curved blade. It does not have any engravings on the blade. I recall the seller explaned about them at the time when I was buying them.

But it was more than 13 year ago, I cannot remember what the explanation was in detail now. As they arrived to my house, I put them in the shed, and forgot about them all along until last week when they suddenly appeared in one of the tool draws. :D

52272522471_8fc8af3b33_c.jpg

52271553817_7472b296f2_c.jpg

52271553812_623640bdba_c.jpg

Last edited:

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
I was away most of the day today because it was my in-law's birthday, to their house with wife. So had no time to work on de-rusting / cleaning the billhook. Will give a go in this week when having some spare time.

Managed pick up a can of treacle from Azda. Wife said it is same thing as Molasses, but I might use cola (as suggested) or vinegar for removing the rust on the blade.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Two things come to mind. Firstly that that would be an awfully useful tool for cutting water reeds, and secondly that you could break hazel rods into split withies quite tidily with it, kedge it apart kind of thing, very effectively. Hurdle making and the like.
Not at all sure if that was their intended use, but yeah, that wriggle of the wrist and forearm on the curve. I'd use that quite happily.

Funny how old farm tools had so many uses that are pretty much obsolete now though.

M

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Two things come to mind. Firstly that that would be an awfully useful tool for cutting water reeds, and secondly that you could break hazel rods into split withies quite tidily with it, kedge it apart kind of thing, very effectively. Hurdle making and the like.
Not at all sure if that was their intended use, but yeah, that wriggle of the wrist and forearm on the curve. I'd use that quite happily.

Funny how old farm tools had so many uses that are pretty much obsolete now though.

M

I cleaned up the billhooks with the wire wool bit attached to hand drill, sharpend the edges with the cigar stones roughly, and hey, they worked great. The blades are extremely hard. Sign of good heat treating done to them, and it took a bit of time to sharpen.

But once sharpened, they worked well clearing the cut blackthorn branches like butter. The angled blades were good for taking out awkward angled blackthorn branches from the main stems. With a bit of added weight and good balanced handle was good to use, although they need re-handled. They are still solid working ok. :)

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
I cleaned up the billhooks with the wire wool bit attached to hand drill, sharpend the edges with the cigar stones roughly, and hey, they worked great.

I now think, maybe these billhooks were made by a private indivual who was a keen blacksmith or just tool maker. Or maybe they were made in some foreign countries?
The engravings look like someone's initials, rather than commercial makers factory stamps.

52274168793_2d13c5cc4c_c.jpg

52274638290_2d9ffa451e_c.jpg

52274149786_fb4e0fe330_c.jpg

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Did more cleaning the billhooks, but used angle grinder for light cleaning the surface rust rather than molasses, vinegar or cola.
The engraving DUTO sounds like Spanish or Portuguese, but still no clues to what it means. Just guessing it is someone's name or initials.

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
Another interesting fact about billhooks is they were brought here by the Romans and haven't changed since

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
L duff ,that's what it looks like to me , probably the forgers name like you get on the GB axe's
Yeah, there was a faint letter in front of Dutc, I thought and ignored.
Now L Duff sounds more familiar, and trying to ring a bell.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE