Can you make venison Jerky?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Absolutely. Last meet I was at, Patrick made some excellent venison jerky. Venison is one of the original hunter-gatherer meats, and has almost certainly been air-dried for longer than cattle have been domesticated.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've found that the only problem with venison jerky is that it doesn't keep.

Because you'll eat it all as soon as it's ready :D
Mmmmm, Tasty.

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
Yes - I've made it with fallow and roe. I think it dries rather more quickly than beef, possibly due to lower fat content.

I over-salted my first batch.

Bresaola (turns out a bit like parma ham) works well, too. I could give you the recipe/technique.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I've found that the only problem with venison jerky is that it doesn't keep.

Because you'll eat it all as soon as it's ready :D
Mmmmm, Tasty.

ALOL :D

Its my absolute fav. I love to add some lingonberry jam to the mariade (the one valid reason to go to Ikea IHMO, well that and the rest of the food shop :D)

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
Venison jerky, Will it work? I have done it with beef, any problems encountered with venison?

ta.

Sandsnakes
Try this; its one I use for whitetail deer. Though , if you slice it thin, salt and pepper it, pop it in the fridge for a day or two, then sprinkle with cajun spice, it's very yummy too! I agree it doesn't keep well, but we pretty much eat the batch up in 2-3 days anyway ;)

The Jerky Marinate
3/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
4 tblsp liquid smoke
1/2 oz bottled garlic juice
or liquid from two crushed garlic cloves
2 lbs lean meat
Course ground black pepper
Louisiana hot sauce (optional)
1 level tsp. salt
1/2 cup dark brown sugar

After eliminating as much exterior fat as possible, cut a beef eye-of-round (London broil will do) into long strips approximately 1/3 to 1/2 inch square (slice with the grain of the meat). (Deer, moose, elk, and caribou are also fine, but use lean cuts and slice with the grain.) Mix all marinate ingredients, except the pepper. Use the following formula for the hot sauce:
1 shake for pussycats

2 shakes for good amigos
4 shakes for tough hombres
19 shakes for snotty neighbors and former spouses
Place marinate and meat in a zip lock bag. Squeeze out the air and seal. Place in a bowl/pan in the refrigerator for 2 - 24 hours (longer gives a deeper flavor).
Line a large roasting pan with aluminum foil and place wire cake racks in it. Spray the racks with a non-stick cooking spray (Pam, etc.). Lay the marinated meat strips across the racks and sprinkle liberally with very coarse ground black pepper. Place in an electric stove oven for about 7-8 hours on the very lowest warm setting (I like 11pm to am). Additionally, the oven door should be cracked open an inch or so to allow the moisture to escape (a metal kitchen spoon does fine). Overcoming (drying) will make the jerky dry and brittle, so be careful.

The beef in this recipe can also be dried nicely in a dehydrator.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE