Can you identify these mushrooms?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrstorey

Forager
Help. I need mycological expertise to help me identify a load of mushrooms that I picked today. Here's the link.

http://www.oldschooltimes.com/mushrooms/index.html

I think there are three different kinds in total, possibly four. The tape measure is extended to 20cm, as a reference. Please ask me if you need more photos, or close-ups of gills, etc.

Pic 1 - taken from a large fallen branch (they were growing one above the other, like shelves - you know, like oyster mushrooms or chicken in the woods).
Pics 2, 3, 4 - collected in two different clearings in the woods.
Pics 5, 6 - collected in three different places in the woods, all growing on dead wood/bark under or around trees.
Pics 7, 8, 9 - taken from one small fallen bough, all growing together. These are much smaller mushrooms than the previous ones. The cluster on the right has a similar size and shape to magic mushrooms. I believe.

All were picked today in woods around Chipping Barnet, Hertfordshire. The habitat is light woodland, with a preponderance of holly, beech, hornbeam and other deciduous trees.

Thank you!

Michael.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Off the top of my head

page 1 - not sure tbh

pages 2-4 look like clouded funnels - were they growing in a large ring, or forming part of what could have been a ring?

on pages 5 & 6 they are shaggy parasols - or at least i assume the upside down one is as well.

of the 3 smaller ones. The last one looks like clustered bonnet. but im not great at the mycena family. not sure with the rest.

Drop xylaria a PM if you want to be sure though.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Agreeing almost completly Andyn:headbang:
1 oyster mushroom
2-4 cloud caps, but they are going at bit over. [cloud caps are some of the worst for being lovely when fresh but if eaten when old can cause toilet god worship]
4-5 shaggy parasol, turns red when cut where parasol mushroom doesn't. It is a lot more likely to cause allergy than parasols.
The rest are mycena, not magic mushrooms. I can't tell mycena apart very well.

mrstorey

Forager
Hi all,

Thanks for the IDs - each time I learn a little more about what's good to eat (and what's not!) where I live. Very pleased to have managed to pick so many edible mushrooms. I just wish you'd all been with me so I could have shared them out as a little thank you :)

PS
Yes, 4&5 turn reddy-orange when cut.

PPS
The cloud caps were only an hour out of the ground when I took the photo, but as they're now a couple of days old, I might give them a miss. We're just about to replace our old toilet - I don't want to hasten it on its way :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE