Can you hunt with an Osprey?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I have just read of a man who hunted fish on the western coast of France, with an osprey. I don't know much about the bird, nor do I know much about hunting with birds, but I have never heard of this being done before. Do any of you know whether/how it could be done? Or is this tale entirely apocryphal? :confused:

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
This page says its been done, although its quite rare.

http://users.cybercity.dk/~ccc12787/raptors/pandion.html

The link at the bottom takes you to his bibliography, which gives a book that sounds like a first-hand account of Osprey falconry - sounds interesting if you can find it!

Cormorants are another bird used for fishing - fishermen keep cormorants which they fit collars with leads to to prevent them swallowing the bigger fish. They then use them to catch fish, which they keep, and reward the birds after removing the collars by feeding them the entrails etc from gutting them.

http://www.yamasa.org/japan/english/destinations/aichi/ukai.html

T

Tekeeler

If you can find a method many animals will work symbiotically with man. I remember when I was small a man up the road from us used to keep a tame fox for hunting rabbits.

Also there was that story of the orca who learnt to help whalers in return for a share of the caught whale. Will try and dig it up its facinating.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
A quick google for 'osprey falconry' pulls up a few falconry schools in england and scotland who seem to say it's quite normal. I'm sure any of them would be happy to explain further if you want to pursue it. For instance
scottish falconry

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE