Can you burn wood on a coal stove??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hun7er

Jun 14, 2009
Harrogate
Yeah shouldn't be a problem we used to do it just used to have to crack the door so it would pull to start it off apart from that it was fine. my nana also used to use wood in her coal boiler when she had run out she had that boiler for 35 years with no problems.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Definitively yes - I do it all the time. Most multifuel burners are optimised for an under draught (suck air beneath the grate) to prevent the grate warping. Wood fires do not get hot enough to over heat the grate and burn better on embers (which fall through a grate) so better quality makers supply a different type of grate for wood (e.g. Esse) but wood will burn fine on a coal grate - just not quite as efficiently. You should not however burn coal in a stove designed only for wood as coal gets much hotter and can warp or crack the stove - I have seen several cast iron stoves damaged in this way

Hope that helps

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE