Can someone recommend me a good navigation course / book

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
I need to learn how to read / navigate with an OS map and compass.

I know it sounds pretty simple but my background is with sea charts / rulers and a pair of dividers. I'm really struggling get my head around using an OS map.

I can read the symbols but seem to struggle to put these into practice on the ground. A very good example of this was this weekend in the lakes. I had a very clear starting point, followed the map pace by pace but still ended up on the wrong path. Fortuanately all paths led to the same place, the visibility was good and we had a GPS (borrowed) but if it was bad weather / more demanding it would not have been good and I'm not happy on relaying on GPS (even if I did buy one).

So can you recommend to me a good course either through a book, through attendance or both.

When I was learning how to use sea charts I first did a book based course and then went on a boat and did it for real. I found this to be an excellent combination.

Thanks,

Craig.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Be Expert with Map and Compass by Bjorn Kjellstrom is considered a pretty standard text and is kind of the original orienteering book.
Lots of pictures and lessons to follow, I certainly rate it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The OS website has or used to have some good tutorials on there for varying grades of experience. Might be worth a look

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
Hill walking (Steve Long) and Mountain Leadership (Eric Langmuir) in my opinion are by far the best, make sure you get the most upto date editions though, Pete Cliffs book is a good starter also but nothing beats good hands on training, making mistakes and learning the why as to the how.

Couldn't go wrong on a Plas Y Brenin navigation course mate
http://www.pyb.co.uk/

Good luck

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
CAL,

Speak to Gary at Bearclaw Bushcraft http://www.bearclawbushcraft.co.uk/courses.htm
There is a camping weekend scheduled for April where i will be teaching several map reading/navigation lessons gratis.

If you want to know more about my background and quals send me a PM and I'll be happy to answer your questions.

This has been set up as a precursor/introduction to a bushcraft orientated 3 tired navigation course which are things being equal should commence this summer. Further information and links will be post on BCUK after Easter.

Cheers Will

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE