Can someone id this wood?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Hi all,
Today I started carving with a wood I picked up some weeks ago. I had no idea what is was, but it showed nice colours so I figured it would make nice spoons. When I started carving I noticed that it smelled quite intense. A bit bitter. Is this one of the unsafe woods? Might it be laburnum or Rhodondendron or anything else I shouldn`t be putting in my mouth? I can`t manage to take better pictures, but I hope this shows enough:
2013-04-14+14.44.24.jpg
2013-04-14+14.44.35.jpg

It is really hard wood, and a little fibrous. Any help is appreciated!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
This looks very like the stuff I posted about a few weeks ago, turned out to be wytch elm. As you say, very hard and beautifuly coloured...............That's what it looks like to me.

I don't think you need to worry too much about what woods you use for utensils as long as they are oiled properly with a food safe drying oil such as walnut or good tung oil, and keep 'em oiled and sealed. The one exception for me has always been yew, I don't have that in my mouth. I think if there is a safety issue with any wood, it is more likely to be from dust and debris as you work it rather than from the finished article.

I'm sure somebody far more knowledgable than me will be along...................atb mac

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Looks to me like it could be laburnum, see here https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=l...AWOkIGACg&sqi=2&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=681 particularly the second from left picture on the second row down, and also similar to some I have in my workshop for turning.

Can be poisonous, see Wikipedia

"All parts of the plant are
poisonous, and can be lethal if consumed in excess. Symptoms of laburnum poisoning may include intense sleepiness, vomiting, convulsive movements, coma, slight frothing at the mouth and unequally dilated pupils. In some cases, diarrhea is very severe, and at times the convulsions are markedly tetanic. The main toxin in the plant is cytisine, a nicotinic receptor agonist."

Might be wrong though so don't chuck/burn it yet !

Cheers, Paul

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Well, i do like to stick my oar in! In my opinion it's laburnum, the yellow outer rings give me more confidence, one word of note, in the last 20/30 years we have imported and therefore planted all sorts of shrub type trees that have had time to mature and confuse us old school boys.

It is not Common Alder or "water aller" as we call it in these parts, as within a couple of hours of being felled it bleeds and turns quite an obviuos orange colour.

Ivan...

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Thanks for the help gents. Much appreciated. Happy to hear that after sealing it will be fine, as it wpuld be a shame not to use such a nicely coloured wood.

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
It's Blackthorn.

been turning loads of it lately, lovely red / pink colour to it

Edit..........................................

found one picture of a blackthorn log

dscn3712.jpg

Last edited:

Dave-Jefferson

Apr 23, 2012
York, North Yorkshire
Hi all,
Today I started carving with a wood I picked up some weeks ago. I had no idea what is was, but it showed nice colours so I figured it would make nice spoons. When I started carving I noticed that it smelled quite intense. A bit bitter. Is this one of the unsafe woods? Might it be laburnum or Rhodondendron or anything else I shouldn`t be putting in my mouth? I can`t manage to take better pictures, but I hope this shows enough:
2013-04-14+14.44.24.jpg
2013-04-14+14.44.35.jpg

It is really hard wood, and a little fibrous. Any help is appreciated!

A very reliable source of mine (tree surgeon) said he is 100% sure that is cherry and is defiantly not laburnum.. But like you say if you seal it well with a good quality food grade oil you will be fine what ever it is :)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?cli....9.img.IJME5bdTOFo#biv=i|22;d|fDo5t6y1xuwu1M:

Cheers Dave

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Cherry! That actually makes a lot of sense now that you mention it, based upon the place I found it... The 'eyes' on the bark weren`t that obvious to me, but now that I compare it to a bit of japanese cherry I do see the resemblance.

2013-04-14+22.02.17.jpg

Here is the 'mystery-wood' on the top and a piece of cherry underneath. The mysterywood smells a lot more bitter though, which is what worried me initially. I guess every wood has its quirks.

Last edited:

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
I have a bit of cherry in the workshop logs seasoning ill have a butchers tomorrow but the inside looks the same to me.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Another vote for blackthorn (sloe) or something similar such as bullace or damson.

The bark doesn't look at all right for Laburnum, yew or even common cherry.

All cherries have quite defined lenticels, the corky pores or narrow lines that run across the stem/trunk of the tree. Much more so than blackthorn at least. In the for of your photo there appears to be some evidence of these but without a close up I couldn't call it. The sapwood of cherry does seem to oxidise down to that yellow seen in the cut end of your photo too.

Leo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE