Can someone ID these please?

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I recently took on a second allotment next to mine after an old chap retired after forty years!
Anyway, in a plastic dustbin of what looks like stagnant water and possibly rotted rhubarb leaves, I discovered these fellas.

null_zpsfbeb48c1.jpg

They are about an inch long, creamy white and have a "tail" about as long as the body. There are hundreds of them.
Can anyone identify them and what if anything do they hatch into?

Thanks in advance for any help.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Thanks Mark. I reckon you are right looking more closely at one....

null_zpsf543cb0a.jpg

and with little else to do, I sat about and saw quite a few of these coming and going...

null_zps4efb1c80.jpg

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I would get out my fishing rod and see if the perch don't like them. If not, a flamethrower seems the way to go.:cool:

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Kinda off topic but the rhubarb leaves were probably being soaked to make a liquid that repels butterflies away from brasicas. This was a top tip I was given by Terry Walton last week.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Kinda off topic but the rhubarb leaves were probably being soaked to make a liquid that repels butterflies away from brasicas. This was a top tip I was given by Terry Walton last week.

I have heard that too. It's supposed to be the oxalic acid isn't it. Strange how these critters thrived on it eh? :confused:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk

That makes sense. The rat tailed maggot is adapted to really murky environments, where there is very little oxygen in the water. They hold the 'tail' up to the surface and draw in air from above the water whilst the rest of the larva is safe underwater.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
wonderful to use trotting down on a centrepin for the chub :)

You knew that thought would be one of the first that crossed my mind Robbi :)
Sadly, they looked too friable to survive long on a hook although that may be because they were in and therefore containing a lot of water, but the first couple I picked up just disintegrated :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE