can quartz crystals be found in the UK?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Jimbo is right about really having to look for big ones, though we do get geodes that when split open sometimes yield good stuff.
There are a few rockhounds on the list, hopefully they'll have more to say about this than I do, I rarely go looking nowadays, though HWMBLT brings back interesting bit ands pieces from his hillwalks.

Cheers,
Toddy

Absolutely you can. Quite often you'll find geodes with small crystals, but I agree with what others have said, to find really good crystals you not only need to know where to look, but as with most things on our small island, you need permission to go and look in most of the best seams. You can strike it lucky sometimes around Cornwall, The Pennines and other parts of the Midlands. Be patient and keep your eyes peeled and you never know. Be aware as well that sometimes, what looks like a piece of rock can be transformed by polishing in a tumbler

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I haven't found any yet. The quartz I'm around tends to be smoky and lumpish. Various colours but never crystallised.
It's bound to be there, just haven't found any yet, it's not common round here though :( .

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
HWMBLT found some in Leadhills and the Campsies, and I know my G.G.Grandpa found some in the Ochils, but it's all tiny, tiny stuff :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
I would love to find a huge geode with coloured crystals inside, don't think you get many down south though.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
White quartz has always been regarded by prospectors as 'the home of gold'. You can often see mineralisation in quartz, and I have seen gold mineralisation in quartz from Scotland.

If the gold price keeps rising then expolitation of our gold reserves will become economic. There are significant deposits of gold bearing rocks in Perthshire, the Ochills, Sutherland, and also in Cornwall/Devon and in Ireland.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Doc said:
If the gold price keeps rising then expolitation of our gold reserves will become economic. There are significant deposits of gold bearing rocks in Perthshire, the Ochills, Sutherland, and also in Cornwall/Devon and in Ireland.

Doc,

shoosh, don't start the next gold rush - my claim hasn't gone through yet.. :D

Cheers

JFW

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Actually, it all belongs to HM the Queen. Landowner's mineral rights do not include gold and silver in the UK. Mining companies have to negotiate with the crown mineral agent.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How does that work when folks pan for gold? There's an annual competition up at Leadhills and there are people who teach others on specifically labelled *GoldPanning courses* too. :confused:

Cheers,
Toddy

T

Trackend

hi Storm
a lot depends on how large a crystal you want as quartz is the second most common mineral next to salt its easy to find huge boulders made of small quartz crystals but if you are after a node sized one it could be a tad more illusive and the best hunting grounds in the south west have thousands of people looking for the same thing, best find I ever made was in the 70's when I found peice of amethyst node which is about nine inches long with some quite large cystals on it. although the crystals are full of imperfections I think it is a beautiful thing.
Good hunting Storm I hope you find what you are after.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE