Can I have some recommendations on Boots please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Hi Mark,
The boots in question were a pair of Karrimor KSB GTX in suede/fabric not leather, so a poor choice on my part perhaps. And also a pair of e-vent lined all leather boots. As you say they were very good at keeping my feet dry and sweat free(ish) when hiking, however what im talking about here is getting water over the top of your boots from fording streams or in one case falling in a bog :)D).
I found that even drying my GTX boots back at camp/home in front of a fire they took longer (upto 3 days) whereas my non-gtx boots used both before and after the boots in question took less time. Think of it this way; you've got two pairs of boots one with a wvp lining and the natural breathability of leather plus any water waterproofing treatments, and a pair just relying on the breathability and any treatments. Now remember wvp layers work both ways so when you've water in your boots the gtx ones will expel moisture as water vapour more quickly than the non-gtx ones but will keep liquid water in the boot for longer. In terms of your good advice on which activites there used for, I agree totally with you. For me It's trekking and mountain walking as well as general round the camp stuff.
Anyway this is just my experience and therefore my opinion, but each to their own and all that.
:)

Was that the very dark blue and dark green boots Karrimor made?

If so i did have a pair of them, i found that after 5 years one started leaking at the kink at the base of the toe, it was ok when walking, but leaked when on the motorbike.
I contacted Karrimor to tell them i had been extremely happy with the boots but as they were now very worn, would they be interested in having the leaky boot back to open it up and maybe learn something from it.
They said yep so i sent it through to them, 4 weeks later they sent me a brand new pair back :eek:

Odd thing is i explained very carefully to them i was not complaining, that i'd had what i felt was more than enough use out of the boot, but still they sent replacements. Great customer service.

Back on to topic though.
If i could make a suggestion Mr copper_head.

With drying them out in front of the fire, your basically forcing the moisture past the membrane back into the boot, this is causing the Gortex to fight against the moisture, so it keeps the moisture in the boot side of the Gortex.

Best way i've found of drying lined boots is to try and apply a very very small amount of heat and air flow through the hole where your foot goes.
This allows the moisture to work through the membrane and out the boot.

If i'm in a hurry to dry my boots then i'll stick my walking pole up the shoe and position it so it's just above the radiator with the toe box at the highest point.
This means no direct heat is being applied to the boot and as the heat rises it evaporates the water and still allows the Gortex lining to breath out this now very damp air.

It's always a compromise though.
If you know 100% certain that your feet are going to get wet (i.e. deep river crossing, short bog moshing session etc) i pack a pair of 5 finger shoes for such a purpose.
But to be honest i have major problem walking any distance with wet feet, it just rips my skin to pieces, so i'd sooner have cold wet feet for 30 mins to 1 hour then have some warm dry socks and boots to wear, than have wet feet for an entire hike.

Cheers
Mark

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Ha, I think im just pathetically bad at keeping my feet dry. I ALWAYS seem to end up in a stream :D
Maybe I should just give up and buy wellies!

As for the boots they were a green and black fabric type.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
http://www.williamlennon.co.uk/footwear/x10r-fell-boots.html
95feb67e-e522-3350.jpg

I used to wear these daily...
But hoggs made them back then. Had 8 years from one pair....till I started concreting in them on a regular basis

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
Footwear generally is a minefield isn't it? I bought some Berghaus Prognosis (trail shoes) from Millets in a sale but after trying them out indoors the left heel slips so they need to be returned. Previously I bought some Nike Alvord (a lightweight trainer) for dry days but after wearing them out the right heel slips. The only trail shoe I found that fitted was a North Face pair I bought in a sale and I think that model is now discontinued. If you're not careful with footwear you can make some expensive mistakes. I know I have.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE