Can I boil water in a coffee can?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Dont see why not, if you are worried about any coatings just hang it upside down over a fire for half hour, that should sort it......some redneck fixin's right there :D
Looks a nice little can too

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I've done it with no ill effect. Like enough times to notice if it had done me any harm. For years my cooking pots for camping where scavenged tin cans

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Don't see why not. I have countless times. The cans I used in the US were just tin cans with no protective coatings on the inside I used a nail to punch a couple of holes for a wire bale to hang over the fire and they served me well for something that was sort of free.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Will be just fine, I've used the larger 250 gram Costa and Nescafe cans with similar construction on many outings. The biggest problem I encountered using billy-cans of this type was that they can get squashed out of shape in the pack.
hobo-brew_0_o.jpg

Note: the 125g Illey cans will nest rather nicely inside a old-skool enamel tin mug.
Alternatively some duct tape on the side of another can would actually make a good size mug for a hobo style bimble bag.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
If you contact the users or manufacturers you'll get a different response. It's like the BPA in plastic bottles, everything was fine until......
It may not be now but down the road??????
You may noticed the kettles, cooking pot and such don't include epoxies, veneers, shellacs, there may very a reason why.
Thermo chemical reactions are not completely known. I am the very example...was given a very harmless drug in quantity because it was safe...People like me were the end result. I have had heart failure from organ damage to the liver kidneys, lungs, etc.... Take it for what it is.
I am just a breed.

Tom Gold

Forager
Nov 2, 2012
Scotland
www.thetreeline.co.uk
Rhyan, take a squizz at this excellent youtube by Dirt time, for some good, old school tin can hobo tech.

[video=youtube;8pNxz7sQMnw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pNxz7sQMnw[/video]

Have used cans for boiling and baking many times, even had my Cubs troop do it in the summer - no ill effects!

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Back when british army ration packs contained tins rather than boil in the bags, an edit came round that banned us from cooking direct in the tins. From memory it was something about zinc poisoning. I have no idea if there was any scientific basis behind this, and to be honest, it was singularly ignored. Put a dent in the tin, chuck it direct on top of the hexi burner, and open once the dent had popped out. Far easier than cleaning mess tins!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE