Can anyone recommend any expedition medic courses?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I did an expedition first aid course with Wayne at Forest Knights a little over a year ago, which I really enjoyed.

I've done various first aid courses in the past which I've enjoyed, hugely, but I guess I've got a bit of a taste for it.

I'm hoping to do a First Responder course with the Ambulance Service in 2008.

If I can get the money together I'd rather like to do a more detailed expedition medics course, perhaps being able to offer my services at a later date to, well, expeditions.

I suspect these will be cost prohibitive, if they exist, but if anyone can make any recommendations that would be cool.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Thanks for the suggestions.

Having done some research comparing current skill set with what the courses offer, the RM one seems to be a bit more like the sort of thing, however, as feared the price quoted does seem to be something of the norm!

This one seemed to be the ticket but as you will see a similar price.

Whilst I'd not expected it to be free, I hadn't, naively, thought it would be so expensive.

I'm going to need to give this some serious thought and planning.

Cheers

Pib

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Thanks for the links!

Came across Ex Med on another thread a while ago and certainly liked the look of them then, although I couldn't think of their name when I originally posted.

As said previously though, I was a little naive about the likely expense, but I'm sure you're right you get what you pay for.

Need to start saving.

Pib

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Thanks for that.

I did actually try joining the SusSar which is the Sussex branch of the ALSAR.

You had to send off an application form and I didn't hear anything after that.

I didn't follow it up as I got the impression you were kind of invited to join by a member rather than you apply and get in.

I'll get back in touch with them.

Cheers

Pib

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I'm guessing that was meant for me on my thread!:D

Apparently you have to live within 5minutes of the fire station, sadly I don't. You're right though not big on mountains in Sussex.

As for the Mag I think the printers went bust and there is currently a pdf version. owever, you will need to check with a mod or Tony on this, but I'm sure this is something I read recently.

Pib

Joe

Need to contact Admin...
Hi,

I had an Expedition Leader first aid course booked with High Peak First Aid in the Peak district before Xmas which I couldn't attend. I've already been on Wilderness first aid courses with the company and found them to be very informative and experienced.

Nicola Pickering (who runs the course) mentioned that as I had already paid the full amount, she would carry the fee (£135) over to 2008 although she hasn't released any Exped leader course dates yet.

Have a look at the website www.hpfa.org.uk and see if the course content is what you were after. If so, I will sell you my place for £70 because I'm not sure I've got any time free this year either to fit it in (much as I would like to).

Cheers

Joe

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Joe that's an amazing offer thank you.

Having had a look at the link, with the exception of the IV canular training, it is very similar to the course I have already done, so based on that I'm not going to take you up on your offer.

But a huge thank you.

Paul

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
MRT tend to be based around all the national parks, so the Mountain bit can be a bit confusing. If you have a National park nearby, there will be a Mountain rescue to go with it.

It depends how much you want to spend, but the course is the Wilderness EMT course. The problem is you might not be able to get on it. They run once a year in various parts of the UK, it is actual run by an American but it is the outdoor course.

The other thing to do is find your Local MRT and ask them were they train. You have to keep in mind that they must get so many applications that putting a name to the face can only help. You might not have what they want, a lot of them require climbing/outdoor skills of a certain level, before they will even consider talking to you. I had a conversation with some lads in the Lakes, and the skills they had to have was amazing, and that was just to train, they still might not get in.

If you add medical or first aid to anything it doubles the price, so the best way can be to join one of the volutary organisation, at the moment the MRT or St. Johns. The Red Cross it depends on your area, and their courses are their courses so you can have trouble translating them to non-Red Cross.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
MRT tend to be based around all the national parks, so the Mountain bit can be a bit confusing. If you have a National park nearby, there will be a Mountain rescue to go with it.

Just looked up what ALSAR stands for. Doh! But it still applies.

It depends how much you want to spend, but the course is the Wilderness EMT course. The problem is you might not be able to get on it. They run once a year in various parts of the UK, it is actual run by an American but it is the outdoor course.

The other thing to do is find your Local MRT and ask them were they train. You have to keep in mind that they must get so many applications that putting a name to the face can only help. You might not have what they want, a lot of them require climbing/outdoor skills of a certain level, before they will even consider talking to you. I had a conversation with some lads in the Lakes, and the skills they had to have was amazing, and that was just to train, they still might not get in.

If you add medical or first aid to anything it doubles the price, so the best way can be to join one of the volutary organisation, at the moment the MRT or St. Johns. The Red Cross it depends on your area, and their courses are their courses so you can have trouble translating them to non-Red Cross.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
OK I think ideally I'd like to do both of these with Ex-Med, but cash is going to be the stopping point!:( :(

Medcine In Remote Areas 1 (MIRA 1)

and

Medicine In Remote Areas 2 (MIRA 2)

I was thinking of selling a kidney on eBay but I'd probably need to do the course first! I wonder if I take my maragolds they'll let me do the washing up in loo of payment!

Seriously though I guess the way to look at is it's an investment, but I'm still not going to be able to do this in a rush so this is going to have to go on hold until a lotto win I think.

Pib

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
There seem to be lots of those courses about, but I would be really interested in one that mentioned BASICS.

The prices are joke on anything to do with medical stuff. You have to pay it or deal with the HSE, and they know it.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
The prices are very high, and I'm now starting to think I may need to knock this on the head!

My wife has suggested that I see if I could perhaps try and get someone to sponsor me, in return they could use my services for free or something, but whilst a good idea I'd doubt it would work, and if it were a recognised way of getting on these courses I'm sure everyone and their dog would be doing it!

On the up side for me, the first responder team were in contact this week. They believe that they will be starting up the training within the next few months so that's something I guess.

There are basic first aid courses, based on an outdoor environment, admittedly these are also expensive.

However, I did one that was organised by BCUK with Wayne of Forest Knights and I think that was about £70 odd pounds. It was a special price for members of this forum and it was a great weekend.

Maybe worth petitioning Tony to try and organise another.

Pib

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE