can anyone recommend a good waterproof gaffer type tape?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
i notice a small spit in my tarp yesterday [the ripstop seems to have worked as its not got larger]
i have a big roll of silver gaffer tape but don't want to use that on a cammo tarp.
anyone know of a good cammo/waterproof tape that sticks?

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
thanks,i dont know them so i will google and see.

ah i see,its ray mears a lot of his stuff seems overpriced?

Last edited:

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
Go outdoors do this stuff and it works i have used it http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mcnett-tenacious-tape-camping-repair-kit-p107605

Jason

I'll second this stuff. I had a small cut in the fly of my VauDe tent. I put a piece of this on the inside and the cut is virtually invisible from the outside now. Since the tape is clear it is really discrete from inside as well. I had intended to put a piece on the outside as well but it stuck so well I decided to try it without and see how it went. That was a couple of years ago and despite having used the tent loads in all kinds of weather the tape is showing no signs of shifting and has not let a drop of water in.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I have black duck tape and its pretty sticky. Bought as an emergency get you home kit for plastic kayak. The McNett tenacious tape is supposed to be realyl good but until I use up my black tape I won't be trying it. It is also dark coloured.

Have you tried using seam sealer if it is really small? Someone once told me that you lay the hole area on a piece of flat cling film put some thick seam sealer (don't thin it) and put anopther layer of cling over it. Weight it down a bit until dried and remove the cling. Never tried it and not sure if the people who have are reliable but they said it worked for small tears and holes. Just an idea as it might be cleaner repair.

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
thanks for the advice i bought the tenacious today
its very easy to use.
i just put some on my tarp and on the little hole in the fabric of my meindle desert boots.
it says wait 24 hours to fully stick,then i will spray the tarp with fabsil

strideredc

Dec 19, 2009
west sussex
i would get the sewing machine out, i got one from ebay about 10 years ago and it was the best buy ever. you would be surprised how many things your can fix with one when you practice... i have made tarps and re enforced many bushcraft things over the years

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
the tenacious has fully dried and is holding good.
i just nipped out in the sunshine and threw my tarp over the wall and applied fabsil.
waiting for it to dry then my lightweight tarp will be ready for anything.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE