Can anyone recommend a good Rip Saw?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hi folks.

I wanting a good Rip Saw for cutting boards (with the grain) from logs. Hand held, not a power tool. Something like Dick Proenneke uses in Alone in the Wilderness.

Does anyone know of any good ones? Preferably resharpenable with a wooden handle.?

Thanks
Mark :)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Been after one myself for ages, not been able to find one anywhere, well, not at a price i can afford anyway, i even asked about one in a well know DIY chain, first response was "i dunno what that is mate", second response was "why would you want a hand saw when a power saw is much easier", after that i gave up and left.

Even the local second hand tool shop doesnt get them in that often, ive asked him to put the next one he gets in aside for me.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
@Mark - just having a look at those, look interesting

@Mike - I phoned Axminster, they offered me a Lie Neilsen Rip saw i think it was, very nice saw, with a very nice price tag (£200.00)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Not got a proper rip handsaw as I just use disposable Bahco's or Spear & Jackson hardpoints at work for the situations where I'm not using a 110 volt corded saw.

I would advise that you avoid any 20 inch saws though, too short for anyone with normal length arms and your arm will be going like a rat on the vinegar strokes with it.
Plus its all too easy to pull out of the cut with the shorter saws.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Get the flinn garlick one, super saws you wont be disapointed with one, but I would go for the 26'' over the 20''

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
:lmao:

I was aiming at the 26" anyway. I have some 18"dia yew logs i need to rip down. :)

I would advise that you avoid any 20 inch saws though, too short for anyone with normal length arms and your arm will be going like a rat on the vinegar strokes with it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE