Can anyone identify the wood?

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I got some wood from the local farmer today which fell in the storms. I am unsure of what tree it is. I managed to find some leaves on a dead branch which was left at the fall sight.

Bark:

Here shows a new shoot:

Buds:

And some dried up leaves:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm far from certain but have a look at pictures of Hornbeam bark, leaf and twigs.

It looks hornbeamy to me?

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I'm far from certain but have a look at pictures of Hornbeam bark, leaf and twigs.

It looks hornbeamy to me?

When I went through a tree identifier it said hornbeam but the leaves look a bit to big for that and this thing was about 18" wide at the base and 20 foot high before it came down. I wasnt sure if hornbeam can get that big? These leaves are just over 3" long without the stem.

Saying that, just looking at the leaf when measuring, it has got the "saw teeth" along the side.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Oh this is surprisingly light in weight, when I picked up a 10" diameter x 2 foot long ring I was surprised.
I just had a look at Elm. The base of a leaf is offset each side at the stem, they have a point and serrated edge and the twigs look similar.

Oh why is so hard to ID a bloody tree sometimes!!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
See that red staining ? that looks like alder.
If you cut it and your tools look like they're covered in blood, it's alder.

Type alder into google images and see how it compares on the leaf shapes ?

M

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
See that red staining ? that looks like alder.
If you cut it and your tools look like they're covered in blood, it's alder.

Type alder into google images and see how it compares on the leaf shapes ?

M

I just went out and cut the bark and there is no red sap and I looked at the leaves online and apparently alder dont have pointy leaves.

Purple buds is another indicator for alder.

Did you notice any small cones on the tree or the floor?

The buds are more brown then purple and the buds further down are yellow? Also I think alder buds are on small stems. I couldnt tell what was from what on the floor as there is so many other trees and brambles and nettles and mud. I can't remember seeing any cones and I also read that the brown cones stay on the tree all year round.

Not Hornbeam, I'd say Willow.

It could be willow as the new shoots are green but the leaves just don't look slender enough?

Thanks to everyone for your responses, even if I didnt quote you.

If it helps the tree didn't have any new shoots near the base of the trunk, most the foliage seemed to be near the top. I may need to go back to the site for more investigating. I think its certainly not alder but I am thinking elm

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Alder can have pointy leaves, not all I agree, but variety, position, etc.,
http://www.dreamstime.com/royalty-free-stock-photos-leaf-alder-tree-image10132638

The no red sap is more definitive though I reckon, especially noticeable if it's growing in a wet area, which the tree seems to prefer. It thrives wet. Even cut timber if kept the right way up will spout leaves and branches again for years afterwards if the bark is left on. Makes natural seasoning a bit of a pain in our climate.

M

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
''goat'' Willow ? their leaves not as thin as crack/white willow. --- are you absolutely positive the leaves are from the same tree ?

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I think I have the defining evidence to say it is definitely goat willow! Please let me know if you agree or disagree?

Exhibit A: fuzzy buds

Exhibit B: the only catkins on the whole tree (a bit dried up as they were on a dead twig)

I also found these other leaves on the floor. The only other trees close were white elder. The picture does make them look more round than they actually are and the bottom one has a point but it's curled up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE