Can anyone give me some advice on antique singer sewing machines?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
My partner wants a Singer antique sewing machine that is operational so she can occasionally use it and to be honest knowing her it will be very occasionally. :p

I just need a bit of advice before I start trawling the world of evilbay to see what's about.

Chris

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
There's been a number of threads on Singers in the past. Have a search on here to see what comes up.
I've got no idea personally though sorry.

All the best
Andy

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
A few questions to ask her first to help you decide which to go for...

Does she want hand crank, foot treadle or electric?

Does she want one which will do a zig zag stitch or just straight stitch?

What is she comfortable lifting? Some of the older 99k's and 201k's can weigh in at around 25lbs +. Featherweight 221k singers are nice but can cost serious money compared a modern.

Does she want a machine which can be packed away or is in a cabinet? Cabinet machines go for a lot less than the pack away models even identical models.

What does she intend to make?

Answer those and you'll narrow your search down quite a bit as to what to go for.

Jul 24, 2016
Åland Islands
I have a Singer from sometime around 1940. I believe it's one of the first electrical ones.
It's really awesome, very strong and almost never messes up. And the hole between the body and needle is bigger than most modern machines. The only problem I have with it is that if the thread is too thin (like normal sewing thread) it breaks. It makes a lot more sound than a newer machine. The good thing is you never need to stuff it away because it's so beautiful.
But to be honest, I use my Bernina 830 more than the singer. I did sew a tipi on the singer though and it went very pain-free! My friend who did it on a modern sewing machine had a lot of trouble.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE