Planning Can anybody recommend a Canoe travel company in Sweden?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Are you from that area?
Immeln has also an excellent canoe center. I bought two canoes from them. First an Grumman Alu canoe - fast but noisy when fishing and your clothes and hands got black from the Aluminium, then when the Poles stole it a Coleman, which was slow, heavy but silent.
I grew up in Perstorp, so not that far away. Nowadays I spend most of my time in Sweden in Småland, with loads of lovely lakes and pine forests to keep me occupied. :)

Reactions: Janne

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Hello everybody,

I have come online to check my post and am overwhelmed by the responses, thank you all so much! The trip reports posted here have made me very excited indeed. It is definitely lakes I'm looking for; the photos are absolutely incredible. I guess then you just work your way around a lake, or go from connected lake to connected lake?

I had envisaged a remote solo trip but my wife thinks I would have more fun if I brought a friend with me!!

I've started Swedish Duolingo, and I've also discovered a pretty cool train from Hamburg to Stockholm where the train goes on a ferry.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
And we fly to Frankfurt when we go to our place in Norway....

Yes, many lakes interconnect, but most canoe rental places are by large lakes with islands, so you do not need to do that.

Is it the Travemünde- Trelleborg ferry? Puttgarten - Rødby?

Choose the lake for your trip wisely!

z_bumbi

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2016
Linköping, Sweden
Hello everybody,

I have come online to check my post and am overwhelmed by the responses, thank you all so much! The trip reports posted here have made me very excited indeed. It is definitely lakes I'm looking for; the photos are absolutely incredible. I guess then you just work your way around a lake, or go from connected lake to connected lake?

I had envisaged a remote solo trip but my wife thinks I would have more fun if I brought a friend with me!!

I've started Swedish Duolingo, and I've also discovered a pretty cool train from Hamburg to Stockholm where the train goes on a ferry.

Going around a big lake isn't where canoes is at there best and big lakes during high summer is pretty crowded (by swedish standards...). There is some canals and waterways that is in large only possibly to travel with canoe and not a lot of people do even during summer. I would choose the part of Sweden that I want to travel and find a official visiter guide, often called visit"cityname or part of sweden", and contact them for tips. Exampel: I like to travel in Sörmland gives visitsormland.com

Here is a site that lista a lot of "leder" for canoetravel. Canoe = kanot, travelways = leder
http://www.kanotguiden.com/sv/

Reactions: Janne

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Wayne of Forest Knights regularly runs canoeing trips out to Sweden, he'll be useful to ask for advice, he does all you've been talking about...

@Wayne, where are you???

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Z_bumbi, I agree, hence my first recommendation the Dalälven.
Paddling downstream adds just enough speed to make the paddling easier, and you see more. Plus more wildlife there.

I did the lakes in northern Skåne, but msinly because I fished a lot.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I really wouldn't go in July.
We go in September and the weather is the same as here and the tourists have gone.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Hey everybody,

I decided to book a trip in Svartälven with Vildmark i Värmland. They have great information on their site, a planned route, and its easy to rent anything you need. I figure it's a good start for my first multi-day canoe trip!

The trip is the first week in July - do you think I'll have troubles with mosquitos at that time of year?

Thanks!

Harry

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Apart from them sucking you dry, falling into your hot drink and coffee - no problem with the mosquitoes!
Or the gnats!
:)

It depends on the weather, the hotter the more biting and sucking insekts.
Get a hat with a mosquito net on, plus various mosquito sprays and creams, and try what you find to be best.

At the canoe rental place they will have what they find is best, probably the Swedish classic Djungel olja.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE