Campsite to get the Missus started...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Maxwellol

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Manchester
Hi all

What I'm hoping for probably doesn't exist, and if it did it wouldn't last unspoilt for long enough to hear about...but google's drawn a blank so here goes anyway - I'd really appreciate any suggestions!

My girlfriend has done a surprise U-Turn (they're good at that, aint they?) and decided she really wants to try out camping. Fantastic news for me, so I just need to find a nice basic campsite to get her used to roughing it - she's noway brave enough for meets yet ;) Her requirements are pretty simple actually (her only demand is a toilet block), but I confess I'm being the fussy one.

What I'm trying to find is a nice quiet site, the simpler the better - don't need anything daft like electricity points - and preferrably without allocated pitching spots. 99% of the campsites I found on google, you don't have any say about where you pitch, you just pay and get pointed at a small gap between two other pitches, crammed in like sardines. Not what I remember sites being like when my Dad took us as a kid...

The MAIN thing I'm searching for is somewhere a little rough around the edges. Don't get me wrong - I'm NOT looking for "we allow bonfires, and sure wave that mora around all you like".

But if anybody knows any campsits that have for example woodland pitches, or heck even a few trees at the edge of the field to hang a tarp off, I'd be forever in your debt for pointing me there.

Final important detail, we're in the Manchester/Stockport area but don't have a car...so we need to be able to get to a nearby town by train/bus and walk it. No big limit on distance from Manchester - Peak district, West Yorkshire, that kind of distance is fine (though closer is better obviously).

Yeah, I won't be surprised if I'm fantasizing about somewhere that doesn't exist, but thank you all for reading and any suggestions/tips.

P.s. Ground dwelling.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Whilst you've said you think she might not care for a 'meet' yet, I would give a lot of consideration to the upcoming Giant's Seat meet. The site itself has everything you are looking for and you can pitch up as close or as far from the activity as you wish.

Last edited:

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I second ukcampsites. As well as details about the site there are normally loads of user reviews which tend to tell you what you need to know about a place and you can search its database by town.

Last edited:

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
I can highly recommend Lanefoot Farm near Keswick , we stayed there last year and it was fantastic, small fires allowed, no overcrowding , nice clean toilets etc , great views and good walks close by ,dogs allowed ,etc

Found it via a recommendation off this site

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I second ukcampsites. As well as details about the site there are normally loads of user reviews which tend to tell you what you need to know about a place and you can search its database by town.

Used Ukcampsites loads of times and give you a number to call to find out a bit more

Maxwellol

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Manchester
Thanks for the suggestions everybody, yes I've been trawling ukcampsites for a few days reading reviews etc. Going to try some funny little place in the Peak District...we'll see.

Whilst you've said you think she might not care for a 'meet' yet, I would give a lot of consideration to the upcoming Giant's Seat meet. The site itself has everything you are looking for and you can pitch up as close or as far from the activity as you wish.

Thanks Iain, I was hoping to come to the upcoming Giant's Seat by myself, just for the weekend, but I think it looks like now I'm going to be visiting family instead. I'm disappointed, but on the other hand its important to do!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE