campingaz stove intterailling trip advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I been interailing 3 times and to be honest food is so cheap etc you do not really need a stove- get into the cafe culture :) Take a metal mug just incase you do build a fire etc.

+1 to this. :)

uyZ1KiY.jpg

Last edited:

chrisinhove

Aug 7, 2013
Sussex
I used a CG Bluet when I inter railed yonks ago. Fine for beaches and campsites, and I hate the smell of meths. Built in Piezo lighters are a pain, though, and I have learnt to avoid them the hard way.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Are there any other stove makers that xmake stoves that fit on the pierceable campingaz cans without using an adaptor? Or do campingaz have the market.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I been interailing 3 times and to be honest food is so cheap etc you do not really need a stove- get into the cafe culture :) Take a metal mug just incase you do build a fire etc.

That really does depend where you are and which country, nowhere in Europe is cheap these days. If your on a budget as the OP is then a little stove makes a lot of sense, 'cafe culture' can take a massive chunk from a limited budget.

garethw

Settler
Are there any other stove makers that xmake stoves that fit on the pierceable campingaz cans without using an adaptor? Or do campingaz have the market.

Forget 'piece type' stoves as they really are terrible... the gas slowly leaks on most of the Campingaz models in my experience... And you can't take the canister off once its pierced. Even a cheapo Campingaz with a valve canister is better.
In France it can be hard to find anything but Campingaz, which is why I recommended the Primus Easy fuel. However you can get the screw type Optimus canisters in Go Sport and they are cheaper then the Campingaz.

This on line fishing shop in the UK has a few to choose from ... http://www.ericsangling.co.uk/fishing/Carp_Stoves.html I'd also recommend the adapter decorum mentioned above also..
As an angler I carry a small stove in my backpack every time I go out... with a metal mug I can brew up in minutes. The stoves that mount via a tube are far more stable than the canister mounted versions. I've used an MSR Pocket Rocket too, (very nice, small and cheap stove) but not very stable and on a tall canister falls over on uneven ground even with the clip on feet.
My stove, gaz, mug and various soups, teas, coffee and hot chocolate all go in a dry sack in the out side pocket of my pack.
Stove%20&%20mug.jpg

cheers
Gareth

garethw

Settler
Isn't the self seal gas can common in Europe already?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't speak for all of Europe, but in France, certainly not... its pretty hard to find... Decathlon sells Primus stoves, but you hardly ever see the gas...:confused:
My local fishing shop stopped selling the Optimus ... now only stocks Campingaz. I guess its down to the fact Campingaz is French.

In the main super markets. Carrefour, Intermarché or Leclerc you'll only ever find Campingaz. If their stoves were as good as Primus or MSR I'd have no quibble... but they are not.

As I said above, I've got Optimus in the Go Sport chain.. most cities have one of these. But this is the reason I suggest for the most universally compatible stoves either an Easy fuel or the adapter are very useful as you'll be able to use any type of self seal canister.

The other main reason not wanting to use Campingaz is that it doesn't contain Isobutane, and therefore is not as good in cold conditions... This winter even with temps well below zero my Optimus canisters have burned well when I've had to shake the Campingaz ones every few minutes.

cheers
Gareth

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE