campingaz stove intterailling trip advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
On another thread I've been recommended looking at campingaz stoves because the gas can be found in most of Europe. Now I know there are different kinds of canisters and stoves and what not, I have NO idea what I'm looking for.

Can someone point me in the right direction/link me to a stove which I can find gas for easily? (Got to be lightweight!!!)

Thanks people!

It's either this, (if it turns out to be suitable) or a spirit burner/trangia.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I've no experience of them but you can get adapters which allow stoves designed for use on self-sealing cannisters to work with the pierce type.

Like:

510MCFOYopL._SX385_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edelrid-Puncture-Style-Cartridge-Adaptor/dp/B0037X9YOK

I've grabbed the first link (and pic from it) that I found ~ no connections etc.

Mandos

Nomad
Jan 23, 2013
Downham market
just gone to a swedish army trangia and now never looking back ! ive used camping gaz lantern and stoves and while they are good they are not that great or reliable. i had alot of problems lighting mine in the winter and they are quite bulky aswell .

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
you should take a camping gas tristar as it has a regulator, as is floor standing if you must take a campingaz.

Or take any gas stove with a pre heat tube and an adapter to take aerosol type canniseters. Best thing sinse parraffin stoves.

That is if you want to do something other than boil water.

In that thread of yours you were given a link to the stove that you need weren't you ?
Yes and I found it yesterday! Sorry about that! My fault.
I think I'm leaving the hexi burner at home for the odd outing in the local woods. I've decided I don't like that awful brown residue or the fumes from is. Irritates my lungs a bit.

you should take a camping gas tristar as it has a regulator, as is floor standing if you must take a campingaz.

Or take any gas stove with a pre heat tube and an adapter to take aerosol type canniseters. Best thing sinse parraffin stoves.

That is if you want to do something other than boil water.

Thank you! Yes I will be looking into that, would be a good lightweight extra I can take and get gas there where I can, in the meantime, I might not be buying my own trangia, it turns out my dad is willing to lend me his old swedish army trangia that he's had lying around for ages, that we used camping round France years ago. That thing was great.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands

Mandos

Nomad
Jan 23, 2013
Downham market
i personally cant see why everybody is telling you to hassle over the camping gaz stoves when a trangia will do and the spirits for it are readily available world wide !

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
i personally cant see why everybody is telling you to hassle over the camping gaz stoves when a trangia will do and the spirits for it are readily available world wide !

In my experience, the most ubiquitous camping fuel to be found in Europe is Camping Gaz, from the Baltic states down to the Greek islands and east into Turkey, you can buy them anywhere, from train and bus station kiosks and supermarkets to the open windows of remote farm houses.

They may not be the best stoves to cook on but they will do the job, cheaply and without hassle.

:)

garethw

Settler
In my experience, the most ubiquitous camping fuel to be found in Europe is Camping Gaz, from the Baltic states down to the Greek islands and east into Turkey, you can buy them anywhere, from train and bus station kiosks and supermarkets to the open windows of remote farm houses.

They may not be the best stoves to cook on but they will do the job, cheaply and without hassle.

That's why I recommend this small, but very good quality Primus. A bit dearer than the Campingaz stove but compatible with all fuel canisters.... inc the "ubiquitous campingaz"... It is way better.... Best small stove I've owned..
For car camping trips I use a Coleman Double burner...

cheers
Gareth

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
That's why I recommend this small, but very good quality Primus. A bit dearer than the Campingaz stove but compatible with all fuel canisters.... inc the "ubiquitous campingaz"... It is way better.... Best small stove I've owned..
For car camping trips I use a Coleman Double burner...

cheers
Gareth

Its also £50 more than the CG stove and the OP is on a budget.

I've no experience of the Easyfuel, does it come with an adaptor for the CG CV range of gas canisters or do you need the standard Lindal thread gas canisters?

For half the Price of the Primus OP could buy
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-...385?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item485524e431

garethw

Settler

I've no experience of the Easyfuel, does it come with an adaptor for the CG CV range of gas canisters or do you need the standard Lindal thread gas canisters?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-...385?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item485524e431

Having had campingaz stoves for years... at £60 odd the Primus is way better... You'll only get a really cheapo stove from them for £18.
None of my Campingaz stoves have really lasted that well .. Primus are just better quality...
The Easy fuel has an outside collar that fits over and slots under the larger circular lug of the canisters.. they are the same on all brands. So you don't actually screw it to the canister. The screw thread just serves to tighten it down to the canister.. Very neat!!!

But they will all cook and make a cup of tea so you pays your money!!!

cheers
Gareth

www.ebay.co.uk/Pages/ViewItem.aspx?...ype-Gas-Burner-Convert-Transfer-/170802713416

this is a good adapter, and the cannisters are far more widely avaliable in uk and europe.

cant find this link, it's broken, also starting to sound complicated? the gas/liquid whatever?
I have used trangias since I was little, I was just wondering if it might be as cheap/easy to find fuel in slovenia/hungary/poland really. The seems to be a division of gas vs spirit burner people.

even more common that alcohol? That sounds unlikely! I'll take your word for it but...I always ALWAYS see confused campers walking around confused irritated and disappointed that they can't find the gas they need from stores even in the UK. When I can just go anywhere and grab a bottle of meth. (or use some of my little stockpile of hexy)

yeah I appreciate the advice getting a top notch stove and everything guys but really, considering I'm looking at the possibilty of either spend £15 on a cheapo camping gaz stove to last the trip, or borrowing a swedish army trangia from my dad....I just wanted to know definitively about availability of fuel :p Thats what I meant by the OP, let me clarify "What has the by far MOST fuel availability east of Austria"
of course taking camping gaz means an extra cookset. Taking trangia does not.

thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...cheap/easy to find fuel in slovenia/hungary/poland really...even more common that alcohol? That sounds unlikely!..."

People drink it, so its sale is controlled, you cannot buy it in large quantities and it is usually diluted and so doesn't burn in the the stove so well. Thats Hungary and I think you will find the same in Poland and the Ukraine, not so sure about Slovenia though.

People from around these parts go camping too, wait until you get here and ask at our camping shops for a recommendation. :)

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
www.aliexpress.com/item/New-style-k...-fuel-tank-Adaptor-gas-burner/1030757968.html

adapter

or a cheepish meths burner.

store.karrimor.com/karrimor-cook-set-and-burner-787083

remote stove with a preheater

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00B24ES6U/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?qid=1390975640&sr=8-7&pi=SL75

avaliable everywhere,cannisters that fit the adapter

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002AAZCQK/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

has a notch indicating an internal pick up tube. lay it one way your on gas, the other your on liquid.

But that is only if your going to do some cooking. For a waterheater, try a campingaz twister, or the meths burners.

Last edited:

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
I been interailing 3 times and to be honest food is so cheap etc you do not really need a stove- get into the cafe culture :) Take a metal mug just incase you do build a fire etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE